Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run combofix without the use of other tools

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blackxmod

blackxmod

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

As I try to run combofix I get a message that says:

"!! ALERT !! It is NOT SAFE to continue!
The contents of the ComboFix package has been compromised.
Please download a fresh copy from:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Note: You may be infected with a file patching virus (Virut)"

So I use a tool from symantec to disable and terminate the Virut virus. However that doesn't seem to help all that much because the virus is still on my computer. My computer also comes up with errors when it starts in normal mode, such as:

The instruction at "0x00630671" referenced memory at "0x00630671". The memory could not be "written"

&

The instruction at "0x00676c87" referenced memory at "0x000000c". The memory could not be "read"

I have already run combofix, after running the symantec tool. However if I don't run the symantec tool first then I will not be able to run combofix. I tried deleting the final through another computer because it is not trying to rely on it and it will just come back again. I do not want to reformat the HD so I just wanted to know if there is anything else I could do to try and save this computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

I do not want to reformat the HD

I'm afraid with Virut that it is about your best and only option
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 blackxmod

blackxmod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

I may have solved this issue on my own. I will retest the computer tonight and post up my findings/process to eliminate this virus from the computer without formatting the machine.

#4 blackxmod

blackxmod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

Well I decieded to take out the HD and do a norton av scan on another computer. It found and removed over 38 viruses including a lot of Virut files. I reinstalled the HD into the laptop and stopped getting all the errors that were coming with the machine. I ran combofix and everything seemed to work just fine. The computer doesn't seem to show any signs of viruses so I am confident I removed them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users