Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

URGENT: Can a live CD be removed in order to make backups?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

My friend's Windows box died, like an hour ago. I got them an Ubuntu CD - whatever the newest version is - and left it with them on my way to work. I want her to boot up into Ubuntu and run it live, then secure backups of all her data. Here's the trick: it's a laptop and she has one CD/DVD drive.

I need to know two things before I call her back, though: Can a live CD, once the OS is up and running, be removed so she can make copies of her data to DVD? And what kind of drivers/support/apps does Ubuntu have available for burning discs?

She is not the most computer literate, and I'll be walking her through this on the phone. I pray there are some simple answers to this. (The simpler I can explain it to her, the less likely she is to go into meltdown when she doesn't get it the first time. >_<)

Thanks SO much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Turns out that you can't. Ubuntu runs totally off the CD, but knoppix can.

#3 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

I'd use Slax...it's what I use for backups. On bootup it has about 7 options and one of them loads Slax entirely in RAM, so you'd be able to back stuff....

Alternatively, you can hook it up using ethernet and upload the files to the net...

Or you could remove the hard drive and 'slave' into another pc

#4 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

Or backup to a thumb drive.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

PCLinuxOS has a "copy2ram" boot option so you can remove the disk.
http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Or backup to a thumb drive.

Best option, 4GB drives are cheap.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

When I made the topic, the user didn't have a thumb drive large enough to hold all their data. It was DVDs on-hand or nothing. I've since sent their sorry butt out to get an external hdd, and to back things up on a regular basis, so I don't have to do through the hassle of trying to get someone to recover an OS over the phone again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users