Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dllhost.exe Virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HALPMEPLOX

HALPMEPLOX

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hello!

Recently i've encoutered with this dllhost.exe - Virus , it triggers only when i run 'Warcraft 3' application..at this point i tab to windows and run Task Manager
(For those of you who don't know what Warcarft 3 is - It's a game made by Blizzard Entertainment)
Task Manager:
Posted Image

Now this dllhost.exe program makes my computer's CPU usage go very high , top moments are +90%....

I get this message when i try to close it in Task Manager

Posted Image

After that error it closes the dllhost.exe and when i tab back to Warcraft 3 then it comes back again and when i close it it comes back AGAIN..its an endless cycle...

I've ran Eset NOD32 Antivirus version 3.0.684.0 Business Edition - it didn't detect it
I've ran stinger (if i remember correctly it was a prog. by McAfee) - it didn't detect it.
I've ran Ad-Aware 2007 Full Scan on my computer - it didn't detect it.
I've uninstalled Warcraft 3 and all the files in the directory - it didn't delete the virus (bcuz after i installed wc3 and its still here)

Now i'm out of ideas on what to do , i haven't tried AVG nor McAfee antivirus scan because i doubt they will detect it and i don't wanna reinstall Windows since it will take eternety to install back all of the soft i have.

Can anyone help me please, i hope the info i've provided can give you guys clue about the virus and i hope we can work this problem out :]

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by HALPMEPLOX, 01 May 2009 - 08:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sabjo

sabjo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

dllhost.exe is not a virus !!!!!! dllhost.exe is a REQUIRED component of Microsoft Windows, and should not be terminated or deleted. It manages DLL level programs (98% of 32-bit programs). If you terminate dllhost.exe, you will need to hard boot your machine. If you delete it, you will need to reinstall your operating system. Anyone reporting this one as a virus either has no clue what they are talking about or is posting malicious information intentionally. There is the legit version of this file that is the COM process, and there is a spyware file that uses the same name, located in c:/windows/shelltray. Delete the latter, and delete the corresponding startup registry entry. Note: The dllhost.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, dllhost.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Check this with Security Task Manager.

Virus with same name:
Worm/Nachi.A.1 - antivir.de

Hope this helps a little bit. That is all i know am not sure what else to tell ya about it.

#3 HALPMEPLOX

HALPMEPLOX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

Yes man , i'm personally aware that its windows component but in this case it runs under the name of dllhost.exe ( i forgot to mention it)
I can close it in task manager and my computer runs fine after it but the problem doesn't go away because when i wanna play my game (warcarft 3) it comes back again and kills CPU Memory, like i said earlier this is an endless cycle because each time i go back to warcraft 3 the dllhost.exe appears again.
:thumbsup:

I pm'ed u and i would like everyone to know that in my Windows directory (os:vista) , unfortunately i dont have the 'shelltray' folder :flowers:
Is there any other way to remove this ? :/

Edited by HALPMEPLOX, 01 May 2009 - 09:24 AM.

#4 HALPMEPLOX

HALPMEPLOX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:33 AM

With Security Task Manager it seems fine so far :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users