Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows ME sp.dll error and cant find scanreg\restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sabjo

sabjo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

I have been working on this computer for days now and the damn thing just won't comply with anything i try to do to it. I have windows me upgrade for windows 98 installed. Everytime i try to download my printing program or any other program for that matter it will either freeze up or pop up and error that always ends with sp.dll. I tried to do a scanreg \ restore but the files cannot be found. Also i get an error code 3 whenever i try to access the internet or do a scan on my puter :thumbsup: So i can't even access the internet on that computer to fix it with any updates or anything i just don't know what to do with the blasted thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jzskill

jzskill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

There may be some issue with the upgrade. Can you do a straight install? Some OS file might not copied right when you did the upgrade.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

sp.dll is associated with America Online (AOL)

If that is what you use for an internet connection, uninstall/reinstall AOL
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

I have windows me upgrade for windows 98 installed. Everytime i try to download my printing program or any other program for that matter it will either freeze up or pop up and error that always ends with sp.dll. I tried to do a scanreg \ restore but the files cannot be found.

I have the Win98SE to WinME upgrade but I never tried to do a system restore. I also have the full WinME and I know there is no access to DOS from the Safe Mode boot menu. Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode. As your computer is starting up keep the Ctrl key pressed until you see the boot menu with Safe Mode in there. Select Safe Mode and let it start then try a system restore. These restore files are normally kept in C:\Windows\Sysbckup they are cab files which will open with WinZip.

If that doesn't work then get a Boot Disk thats assuming you have a floppy drive. You can more the boot disk if you don't have one in Safe Mode because you will still have access to A: Start your computer up with the boot disk inserted if it doesn't read the floppy on startup you need to go into the BIOS/CMOS and change the boot sequence to read the floppy first. Once it starts up from floppy at the A:\ prompt type in c:\windows\command\scanreg /restore and follow the prompts to restore to a date before these problems occured.

You will also have to sort your problem with sp.dll and AOL. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 sabjo

sabjo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I will try the boot disk. I appreciate all of the help and support. wish me luck. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users