Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sad Day for Comodo

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Comodo-Soft...ia-110169.shtml

Unfortunately, neither we nor the community seem to have had any influence of the Comodo team. A week later nothing changed and, as our deadline was near and the Comodo PR team did not send us any reply to our email, we’ve decided we had no other option but to the remove the listing.

Bundled adware installed by default
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:39 AM

Sad indeed. However I expect this in near future :thumbsup:

We can only hope that at some point in the near future Comodo (like the developer of CCleaner and other programs) will change the setup experience so we can republish their software on Softpedia.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

Sad news. I am a user of CIS (without the adware) and not unhappy with their product. I never install additional products by default, but I wasnt aware of the ask-toolbar-issue when I installed the program.

Btw, I understood Bitdefender has the same issue.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

It's one thing to offer a free trial or even a free version of a program, but entirely another when a company resorts to
bundling adware. This is what we have come to expect from major computer manufactures and crudware in an effort to boost revenue streams. It's utter hypocrisy for a security company to do it.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

You do of course have the option to deselect it during installation, so it is not installed without your knowledge, which I would have thought was the normal definition of an adware program.

It's not a big deal really, but when lawyers get involved.................
James

#6 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

You do of course have the option to deselect it during installation, so it is not installed without your knowledge, which I would have thought was the normal definition of an adware program.

It's not a big deal really, but when lawyers get involved.................

I believe the problem here is a lot of users are unaware of what it is they are being asked about. They see this as a company which advertises itself as being against these types of thing they are asking you if you want to install. There is a certain amount of trust factor which figures in to the equation. It's a shame we start having to dissect what we think of as the good guys looking for this kind of thing. There's enough of it out there with the bad guys.
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

The deception is that the companies such as Zone Alarm and Bit Defender do not mention the Ask Toolbar.
Zone Alarm asks if you want "Spy Blocker and Bit Defender installs what they call the "Antiphishing Toolbar".

Very deceptive and exceptionally so for security companies.
Some excuse this because of the economy. Still doesn't make it right.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

Melih is paying the wages of 300 coders working on Comodo Internet Security and giving it for free.

If the toolbar can offset some of the cost and you can choose not to have it, who are Softpedia doing any favours to by labelling it as adware?
James

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

who are Softpedia doing any favours to by labelling it as adware?

The people that Softpedia have promised that they will tell what's in software available for download.

The problem is not that it's there, the problem is that Comodo have said "stop saying it's there".

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:35 PM

The deception is that the companies such as Zone Alarm and Bit Defender do not mention the Ask Toolbar.
Zone Alarm asks if you want "Spy Blocker and Bit Defender installs what they call the "Antiphishing Toolbar".

Very deceptive and exceptionally so for security companies.
Some excuse this because of the economy. Still doesn't make it right.

I have used ZoneAlarm av/fw for probably 10 years and I have never had ZoneAlarm install, or ask me to install, anything other than their av/fw program.

Edited by Stang777, 01 May 2009 - 07:37 PM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Reply to Stang777

It is ZA Free Firewall that I noticed when last I updated it. Many don't notice it or think it is necessary as ASK TOOLBAR
isn't mentioned.

Here is a link to search results and you can see what I am referring to and why I say it is deceptive.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Zone+Alarm+...lient=firefox-a

EDIT: Here is some info on the Ask Toolbar
http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/ask-toolbars/

Edited by buddy215, 01 May 2009 - 08:40 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

I guess the reason I have not run across that is I have always used the paid version.

Edited by Stang777, 01 May 2009 - 09:07 PM.

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

The funny part is if you install Ask Toolbar bundled with Comodo IS, it protects you from spyware. But when you download Ask toolbar separately from ask.com, Comdo Antivirus catches it a malware and wont let it install :thumbsup:

#14 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

Melih is paying the wages of 300 coders working on Comodo Internet Security and giving it for free.

If the toolbar can offset some of the cost and you can choose not to have it, who are Softpedia doing any favours to by labelling it as adware?

You make Comodo sound like it's a charity or something. They make money selling Digital Certifcates and their free products are simply used to advertise their name.

#15 01d5od

01d5od

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:03 AM

Always read the EULA when installing software whether it is freeware or shareware.
Often little details can be found or worries removed.
Be aware of the mention of third parties being involved or any mention of information being sent out.

Always be aware of the toolbar mentioned or seen in the installer when installing the new program.
It is your own discretion as to whether or not the toolbar is to be installed when installing a program.
And very often if the toolbar is not wanted, the toolbar can be uninstalled in either the Add and Remove Programs of the Control Panel or within the browser itself.

Richard.
ZA Pro & Avira antivirus & SSM Pro & Privoxy & Protowall & Opera for security. Topped off with a limited user account on fully updated XP HE SP3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users