Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CUTOFF

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:21 AM

Hello. Does anyone know why, when I try to download something big or I believe it even happened when I was checking my PC for viruses running a program, my PC shuts down in standby mode and/or my internet provider logs me out? I know my PC will shutdown into standby mode after nothing is touched in awhile and I assume that may be the case with the internet as well. But, why would it when I amd downloading something or again possible when I was scanning my PC for problems?

Thanks,

diego88

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:30 AM

PC will go into standby if there is no input from the user. Personally, I turn off all standby/hibernation features.

#3 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

Sounds like a power-saving mode function. Even though your PC was obviously still in use it seems like the OS takes the approach that if you haven't pressed a keystroke or moved the mouse in a length of time that you're not using it.

Oops, looks like Herk beat me to it. Yeah, if your PC is plugged in (even a laptop) I prefer to disengage those sort of power saving features. Either that or you have to remember to disable them before a lengthy download or virus scanning, etc.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:38 AM

Yes if there is no activity from the user the computer will go into standby.
(only if those features are on)

To disable any hibernation or standby do the following:

1. Click on Start
2. Click on Control Panel
3. Click on Classic View
4. Open Power Options
5. Change System standby to never
6. Change Turn off hard disks: to never.
7. And if you want to change Turn off monitor to never, however I like mine set at 20 minutes.
8. Click Apply
9. Click on the Hibernate tab.
10. Uncheck Enable hibernation.

Edited by yanowhiz, 22 June 2005 - 09:39 AM.

#5 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:16 PM

Thank you all. I will definitely take them off when working on certain things. I was not sure if you could. Now that inactivity, and then shutdown to standby, would be what triggers the internet connection to be logged off, right?

Again thanks!!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

Many ISPs will disconnect you if they see no activity on line.

#7 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:28 AM

Hello,

I did as yanowhiz stated, but, the same thing happened to me. Except that my PC did not go into standyby mode. I am trying to download SP2 and it states that it will take about 3 hours. I do not have time to wait around moving my mouse every 10-15 minutes!!! I have tried to download this now twice while I go to work so I don't know exactly what goes on other than when I get home and look the first popup is that my internet was disconnected and the second is from microsoft stating that the download failed. Anymore suggestions? I did notice that when disabling standby mode there were options such as energy star and never turn off (something like that) just above where I changed the standby mode. Does this mean anything?

Thanks,

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:38 AM

Since its not a shutdown issue anymore it could be your ISP. Do you have dial-up? If so they could be why...

Most Dial-up ISP have a policy where if they have a user connected and they don't see any "activity" they will close the connection. But I find weird is, the download its self should be considered "activity."

Who is you ISP?

#9 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:13 PM

Yes, it is dial up. It is JUNO. Never have any other issues with it??

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

Microsoft will provide a free cd to install SP2.

That would be considerably better and less problematic than downloading SP 2 on a dialup connection.

Important: Follow these steps before installing Windows XP SP2 to prevent potential conflicts with other software on your computer:

1. Back up your critical information.
2. Check your computer for spyware and other unwanted software.
3. Check for special update instructions from your computer's manufacturer.

Order the cd here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

You might check and see if some of the computer magazines had the SP 2 cd. That might be a little faster than waiting for it to come from Microsoft.

You could also download a freeware download manager from download.com or c-net which would enable you to resume the download after the connection was interrupted but a cd is still the best way.

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 June 2005 - 05:57 PM.

#11 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:02 PM

Your ip may have expired after that long

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

Also check in Control Panel> Internet Options> Connections tab
Highlight the connection you use then click the Settings button then the Advanced button. Under 'Advanced Dial-up' you will see 'Disconnect if idle for XX minutes'. For a three hour download you would have to untick that option as for some reason downloads don't register as "activity" in all cases.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

An old trick is to open Outlook Express and set it to check for your email every five minutes or so. Your ISP will see this as activity and keep the connection open. You can also use a program like MSN Messenger or another IM program to do the same thing.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 diego88

diego88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Enthusiast. I did order a CD from your link.

Rimmer, thank you. I attempted what you suggested but this option was not going anyway. It was never checked, it was greyed out, and showed 20 minutes though. When I did check the box it unhighlighted from grey shading and I could change the time period from 1 to 59 minutes. Anyway, I unchecked it and called it a day. I then ordered the CD as Enthusiast suggested.

Leurgy that's a great trick. Thanks. I do not have Outlook set up at home, though. I just use Juno and Yahoo. I do use it at work. How do you set it up. Doesn't it use up space on your PC, though, instead of just pulling from the internet and not using your memory, etc.?? I also do not use MSN messenger. I used to use Yahoo messenger. I think I still have it but probably needs updating, etc. Anyway, how do you set them to check for e-mail? What exactly happens?

Again thanks to all!! :thumbsup:)

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

You can probably use whatever email program you are using to check for mail every five minutes and accomplish what Leurgy suggested.

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 June 2005 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users