Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad sectors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Divanumber2

Divanumber2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:53 AM

I have 44 KB of bad sectors on NTFS. what should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:30 AM

These were found how? Did you run a routine scandisk/error checking yourself or did the PC kind of act up and run it itself after startup for example?

Either way if they were found (44K isn't all that much btw) then they should have been either repaired or quarantined and either way not pose any immediate problem.

But it could however be a harbinger of more failed sectors to come if your harddisk is going bad. If you have anything else that can do a deeper scan of your harddisk and evaluate it's condition you might want to check in to that. And be sure you've got recent backups of all your important data.

#3 Divanumber2

Divanumber2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:32 AM

I ran check disk

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:36 AM

OK. It may be nothing to worry about but it wouldn't hurt to run a more detailed diagnostic with regard to the overall health of your harddisk.

Is this computer relatively new or old... is it a 'name brand' and/or do you have the diagnostic disks for it?

The first thing I do after running a scandisk/check disk/etc. and getting any returns about problems or errors found is to run it again. If I get more problems immediately after it already found problems then I am concerned. If there are no problems after it first finds problems I keep it in mind and see how long before it finds problems again. If it is finding more and more problems on a regular basis it probably won't be long until the HD needs replacing.

#5 Divanumber2

Divanumber2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

No I had the same amount of bad sectors each time. The computer is out of warranty, in fairly good shape, and is a Dell Desktop. Thanks for your comfort. I appreciate your help

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

If you know the name of the hard drive manufacturer you can get a much better diagnostic program from them. It will look for errors like yours and can sometimes even repair them.

As you boot your computer, press the pause key when you see a black and white screen with Primary Master or some such on it. It will be the first screen you see. This will identify the hard drive.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

Download Everest Home Edition and if your hard drive is a "smart" drive, as most have been for many years, it will give you a full report on its condition.

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more.

Download
Here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.p...ang=en&pageid=3
or here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users