Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting my computer tower into my HDTV

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 .Connor

.Connor

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

Hey,

I have a yellow adapter and have plugged my HD lead from that into my HDTV, Now im getting to see it but i have no sound? Ive tried everything and cant solve the issue, i spoke to the person who built it through email and his reply was;

Yes the definition of HDMI is High Definition Multimedia Interface, basically meaning AUDIO and VISIAL.

As long as you set the sound on the PC to the HDMI output that's the PC ready to send audio. Remember to TAKE THE SPEAKER CABLE OUT OF THE PC if you are trying to use the HDMI audio. If you have a speaker cable from external speakers in the back or front ports you will not be able to use the HDMI audio. You can only use one at a time.

Here is a simple explination of the HDMI connection and Audio from this as its a simple set up but as your research show LOTS of people have problems getting audio:

The graphics card given came with its ORIGINAL HDMI converter. This HDMI converter was supplied by ASUS the manufactures of the graphics card. The PINS on this converter are set to give audio from the graphics cards audio chip. If you use a 3rd party HDMI converter you need whats called an Internal SPDIF cable connected to the graphics card and then to the PCs SPDIF as the layout of the pins are different.

This Asus graphics card you were given card is supplied with its ORIGINAL HDMI converter which means you don't need the Internal SPDIF cable. This graphics card does not even have the SPDIF port on it as its ONLY supplied with all accessories needed. This is why its the best in its class and this is why you were given this before one of the cheaper ones.

If you buy one of the cheaper HD4850 graphics card you don't get all the accessories and this is when you need to use the Internal SPDIF. All the cheaper graphics cards have the SPDIF port due to this. This means you need to buy the cable, the converter and so on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

The "yellow" adapter does this convert the HDMI to RCA?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

If the yellow adapter is for a single thin cable with RCA type plugs on each end it is a "composite" type cable & only good for video output.
If you look at the TV you should have another connector like except it is white.
You would need a cable from the 'sound out connection on the computer to the white connection on the TV to get sound through the TV.

I have mine hooked to a older TV with the yellow adapter.
I just use the sound from the computer.
[ No cable from the computer to the TV I have a set of headphones or just use the computer speakers]

Edited by fairjoeblue, 30 April 2009 - 02:30 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 .Connor

.Connor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

Its basically the same as the normal blue adapter but its yellow and the HDMI cable plugs into it so it converts the sound and video to the TV.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

It sounds like you are using a different adapter then I thought.

I'm not familure with the setup you are using so I can't be of any help. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

The "color" of the adapters is useless in this case.

You have a DVI to HDMI adapter? If so the videocard/video chipset must also be capable of feeding sound through the connector. Some cards(later model ATIs) handle the sound decode by itself and feeds an HDMI spec signal containing audio and video. Later model NVidia cards have a connector to feed in digital audio from the soundcard/motherboard chipset to the videocard, and the two are fed together to the HDMI connector. Some of the higher end NVidias might also do onboard sound decode as well.

If the videocard is not either decoding or getting decoded sound to output through the HDMI, then you aren't going to get sound.

The directions/information you were given is right on. No idea what actual videocard you have (4850 or 4870?) but the decode is built in as far as I know. Go to your sound properties and select the audio out for the ATI card to enable it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 .Connor

.Connor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

I have a Asus ATI HD4850 that came with its original ATI DVI to HDMI converter (looks like click> http://www.mediaxpc.com/imgs/gall_adapt.jpg )which plugs in to the DVI port giving the HDMI output. The Asus HD4850 does not have a SPDIF port as it will only give audio with its original ATI DVI to HDMI converter which you have.

Click bellow to see the card and its capabilities:

http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&...amp;modelmenu=1

Edited by .Connor, 30 April 2009 - 04:30 PM.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

I don't know what you are fishing for. If the drivers are installed correctly, then you can select the 4850's audio output in audio/sound properties, and have sound over the HDMI port.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 .Connor

.Connor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

I don't know what you are fishing for. If the drivers are installed correctly, then you can select the 4850's audio output in audio/sound properties, and have sound over the HDMI port.

Have done and still no sound?

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

have you checked the settings on the TV?

Chad Mockensturm 

#11 .Connor

.Connor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:13 AM

Not sure what settings to check?

#12 .Connor

.Connor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

Make of the TV is Bush.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

You may have to set the TV's sound settings to the HDMI in put. I am not sure as I have never used a HDMI connection. Do you have the model number of the TV?

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users