Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG 8.5 Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

Greetings. first off, I must apologize that I don't have time to search the forums to find this answer and I'm hoping someone here will have the answer some time soon.

I was a user of the free AVG 8.0 anti virus protection. and that version is no longer going to be supported as of today (or end of today?) as alot of you are already aware. I didn't have time to research/pick another free anti virus software and since I've had pretty good luck with AVG for the last year or so, I decided to just pay for their 8.5 version. what I didn't know was that I could have selected JUST the anti virus software. Instead what I've downloaded is the Internet Security, which I am sure will work great. But, here's my question. I have Comodo firewall also installed as I need that to run with the free AVG anti virus software. Is it "bad" to have two firewalls running?

I have Windows XP operating system and maybe I even have the built-in Windows firewall too? so maybe I am okay with this extra protection? Should I uninstall the Comodo firewall since I now have it with the AVG 8.5 Internet Security Suite?

many thanks for anyone with an answer!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

Much as I hate to say this, as you have already paid for AVG Internet Security, you should uninstall the Comodo firewall and turn off the Windows firewall in the XP Security centre.

When your subscription runs out you could consider going back to Comodo, but installing the whole Comodo Security Suite.
By then it will have more features than it has now, a built in sandbox a time machine and CIMA heuristics.
James

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

hmmmm....that's what I kind of figured.

and, I never did turn off the Windows firewall when I installed Comodo and haven't seen any issues. that I know of anyway.

what happens if you have more than one (and in my case, three) firewalls going? does anyone know? I think I will uninstall the Comodo anyway, but am curious to know what issues might occur.

thanks!

Edited by tobyo, 30 April 2009 - 11:12 AM.

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

Maybe they would just slow you down, but you could try some tests here:
http://www.testmypcsecurity.com/securityte...test_suite.html

The AVG firewall doesn't seem to do so well at Matousec, but not 8.5 so maybe that is different:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive...nge/results.php
James

#5 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

what happens if you have more than one (and in my case, three) firewalls going? does anyone know? I think I will uninstall the Comodo anyway, but am curious to know what issues might occur.

It's like any realtime protection module warnings. For realtime protection modules, you should only run one of each type (one Antivirus (virtually required if you have an internet connection), one firewall (pretty much required as well), and one antispyware/malware realtime protection module (optional)). It should be known that users should only have one Antivirus running on a computer due to the realtime protection modules conflicting with each other for resources, detecting the other as a threat, slowing the computer down, etc. The same concept can be said of firewalls on a computer. You should only run one firewall on your computer at any time. Like multiple antiviruses, multiple firewalls can cause a hole in your security because the firewalls are busy competing for resources. The same for antispyware/malware products that have realtime modules (ex. TeaTimer, AdWatch, etc). The only difference here is that realtime protection from these aren't really required, but can add to security of a computer.

If you're confused about something, go ahead and ask. BC is here to help answer questions you have.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

thanks so much!! and I think maybe I turned off the Windows firewall when I installed Comodo. I will check that out later. but I did uninstall Comodo so I think I'm good.

thank you again, appreciate it!

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

Comodo turns off the Windows Firewall automatically upon installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users