Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swine Flu

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Helio

Helio

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

First we heard reports of 150+deaths last week in Mexico and now WHO says there's only been 7 deaths worldwide. Even more confusing is that they've RAISED the threat level after announcing it wasn't as bad as they thought. Then I heard on the radio this morning about a "leaked" report (rumor) that doctors have met with CDC officials and determined that the situation is out of control, hundreds of people (unreported cases) in the US are on respirators in hospitals and that emergency rooms are overwhelmed. The report also states that we are running out of the medicine that treats this illness and that national stockpiles are insufficient.

I haven't seen or heard of any cases in my area and am not a person that panics when the media starts issuing warnings but I am curious as to all the conflicting information.
Resistance is futile.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

:thumbsup:

Research, Mad Cow, Avairtian Flu, Hong Hong Flu or many more and just relax? It is not a Stephen King Novel. Just another Crisis, mainly bought about by Media.

Real thing, is it is very limited, just at the moment, others have over reacteted.

Edit. If it was serious, we would have a Problem, Folks, Pig is so close to Human a Heart Transplant is definitately possible. Even ancient Chinese knew that.

:flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by Abacus 7, 30 April 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#3 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

:thumbsup:

Research, Mad Cow, Avairtian Flu, Hong Hong Flu or many more and just relax? It is not a Stephen King Novel. Just another Crisis, mainly bought about by Media.

Real thing, is it is very limited, just at the moment, others have over reacteted.

Edit. If it was serious, we would have a Problem, Folks, Pig is so close to Human a Heart Transplant is definitately possible. Even ancient Chinese knew that.

:flowers: :trumpet:

As I mentioned, I am relaxed:)

Im just curious as to how the media can give so many conficting versions of what is happening. I suppose if we ever encountered a real threat, we probably wouldnt hear about it until it was too late.
Resistance is futile.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:37 AM

In the USA a health "crisis" has to be created from any medical issue possible to help Obama sell goverment health care.

The swine flu will be blown way out of proportion by a media that feels the need to sensationalize EVERYTHING.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Helio

Helio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

In the USA a health "crisis" has to be created from any medical issue possible to help Obama sell goverment health care.

Great point! I'd forgotten about the health care debacle lol.
Resistance is futile.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

Thought I would mention that spammers are sending out emails with "swine flu" mentioned.
Best when recieving any unexpected, unknown sender or with swine flu in the title is the
same as with any other spam mail. DON'T OPEN IT. DELETE IT.

My opinion, when it comes to possible pandemics, more information is better than some
attempt at "protecting the public" from panicking. Quick action and getting your info from reliable sources
is the best way to go. I would not consider a caller on talk show to be reliable.

At the moment swine flu has the attention of everyone. I trust Obama and his aides to
support and encourage the CDC to work hard at finding all the answers. Obama is definitely pro science
and he recognizes the benefits of good science.

Edited by buddy215, 30 April 2009 - 11:57 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 gr277

gr277

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

The swine flu will be blown way out of proportion by a media that feels the need to sensationalize EVERYTHING.

I totally agree with this comment. Here, in the UK, there are 4000 deaths every year as a result of the common flu. So, what is so special about the "pig flu"???.... :thumbsup:
Basil
Καλημέρα φίλοι

Posted Image

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

"Obama is definitely pro science and he recognizes the benefits of good science. "

Obama [The Celebrity In Cheif] is "pro" ANYTHING he thinks will make him popular.

Fortunatly in this instance it may actually work out well for the people.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,985 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hi all, below my two pennies worth a biologist....
  • The swine flu is no longer swine flu since it is transmitted from human to human. No longer any swines involved.
  • This flu is far from unexpected. I remember a discussion on a university-workshop in 2001 about WHEN this would occur, not IF.
  • This flu is not lethal and if treated well from the beginning the patients will be fine in not too much time.
Conclusion, its like a hoax.... The worst that can happen is we all get flu (there are already all kind of viruses on BC, so a bit more won't hurt.... LOL). Builds immunity.

My advice to everyone would be, live healthy, so your immune-system can kick that virus right out (lots of vitamin C, veggies, fruit, laughing.... and go see your medic if you have a fever, are coughing and have joint-pain)!

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

"Conclusion, its like a hoax.... The worst that can happen is we all get flu "

Yes , but here in the USA it is being used as a scare tatic.
The clown running this country is really fond of using scare tatics to get what he wants ,fast & with NO discussion.

The media here is pretty much blowing it way out of proportion.
They act like we have a outbreak of the Bubonic Plague.

While the "Swine flu" can be fatal it's not like it's a for sure death sentence to get it.

They should warn people about it, give precautionary info, & quit with the panic reporting.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 30 April 2009 - 03:16 PM.

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

Well I have never been one to get worried about stuff like this but after 1 nearby city closed all schools in their district today due to 3 suspected cases (state officials say it is probably this flu and are just waiting on CDC confirmation), I am a little nervous. I work with the public, see well over 100 people a day and often, many of them are sick, and since I am touching the stuff they have touched, I am a little worried. Some of my customers come from the area that have the suspected cases. I do not want to get sick, can't afford the doctor and medicine bills and the time off work. This isn't like the regular flu that you can just ride out. School across the country are closing and I do not ever remember that happening before.

This is the latest info on it that my local news is reporting...

Key developments on swine flu outbreaks, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, and government officials:

-Deaths: 168 in Mexico, eight confirmed as swine flu and rest suspected. One confirmed in U.S., a 23-month-old boy from Mexico who died in Texas.

-Sickened: 2,955 suspected and 99 confirmed in Mexico. Confirmed elsewhere: 129 in U.S.; 19 in Canada; 13 in Spain; eight in Britain; three in Germany and in New Zealand; two in Israel; one each in Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands.

-In U.S., CDC confirms 109 cases and state officials confirm another 20. CDC confirms: 50 in New York; 26 in Texas; 14 in California; 10 in South Carolina; two each in Kansas and Massachusetts; and one each in Indiana, Ohio, Arizona, Michigan and Nevada. State officials confirm five in New Jersey; four in Delaware; three in Maine; three additional cases in Arizona; two in Colorado; one additional case in Michigan; and one each in Georgia and Minnesota.

-Several hundred schools close nationwide, with at least 200 in Texas and 62 in Alabama, plus scattered closings in New York, California, South Carolina, Connecticut, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Arizona, Ohio, Utah, Washington state, Michigan and Maine.

Edited by Stang777, 30 April 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#12 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

Right now, it seems like hype.
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#13 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

The 1 confirmed death in the USA is a tad misleading.
It was a sick Mexican child that was brought to the US in hopes of getting treatment.

The child was sick with the swine flu BEFORE being brought accross the border & died in the USA.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 30 April 2009 - 05:17 PM.

#14 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Key developments on swine flu outbreaks, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, and government officials:

-Deaths: 168 in Mexico, eight confirmed as swine flu and rest suspected. One confirmed in U.S., a 23-month-old boy from Mexico who died in Texas.

-Sickened: 2,955 suspected and 99 confirmed in Mexico. Confirmed elsewhere: 129 in U.S.; 19 in Canada; 13 in Spain; eight in Britain; three in Germany and in New Zealand; two in Israel; one each in Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands.

Just quoting Stang777's figures here if I may, easier than typing them myself :thumbsup:.

The thing to think about is that around 3500 confirmed/suspected cases in 10 different countries might seem a lot but take into account the amount of people in these countries. Over 300 million in the US, Around 62-63 million in the UK, Around 90 million in Mexico I think, 36 million in Canada, Around 40 million in Spain, Around 80 million in Germany, Over 4 million in New Zealand.

Not sure of the other 3 countries off the top of my head but just those 7 countries has around 610 million people living in them, Which means 3500 is such a small drop in the population when it has been about 1 to 2 weeks to get these 3500 cases. I've never had Flu (I never have much worse than a Cold, Blocked Nose or Headache. Hayfever is about the only thing that really affects me) so wouldn't be able to comment on what it is like, but have heard that currently in the early stages of this Flu it can be treated with a drug called Tamiflu (the UK's NHS has enough stockpiled for 33 million people over 50% of the UK population, although I think this was stockpiled because of the Bird Flu threats last summer?) until Scientists can create a cure which they say will take over 6 months until it can be produced in big numbers.

But since Flu can normally be easily diagnosed by just about anyone, any new cases can be treated effectively with the Tamiflu drug so I wouldn't worry on that point, Medical Care has improved vastly over the decades.

I also concur with others saying the Media hypes up the situation, I'm sure some in the Media have mentioned the Spanish Flu Pandemic in 1918 for some reason which infected 40% of the World's population and killed 50 million not sure why because I would say in 90 years the Medical treatments will have vastly improved.

I'd say we really don't have to worry about it, as long as you work out early enough that you have Swine/Pig Flu you should be able to get treated, which I'm sure people should roughly know when they have flu or something like that they could also check symptoms if they aren't sure.

I don't want to add a down tone to this but, although the figure I mentioned about the NHS having enough of the drug for 33 million people, I just saw that the OP Helio was in the US and one part of his statement is correct in what the report is referring to in regards to the medicine that currently is being used to treat the Flu, Part of the report I heard on the News with the NHS figure, also quoted what the US Healthcare system had stockpiled which was enough for around 11 million people so 3 times less, In other words not sufficient for a Country the size of the US.

Edited by woodyblade, 30 April 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#15 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

This isn't like the regular flu that you can just ride out.

Yes it is. The CDC says it isn't any more severe than typical seasonal flu, and it is treatable with anti-flu drugs (Tamiflu + one other that slips my mind).

Concerning normal seasonal flu:
"Using new and improved statistical models, CDC scientists estimate that an average of 36,000 people (up from 20,000 in previous estimates) die from influenza-related complications each year in the United States. "

Why don't they declare a pandemic every year?
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users