Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

My daughter's laptop won't boot.

She was moving photos to her ipod when her laptop froze. She tried ending the programme with ctrl alt delete but nothing happened so she powered it down but then when she tried to turn it back on it starts loading up but then goes to a screen which gives her the option of launching windows repair or booting normally.

She selected to repair windows and it says it has found errors but it still won't boot up, we have run windows repair many times and the same thing happens.

I've booted into Advance Boot Options and tried booting into Safe Mode (it won't), I've tried Last Known Configuration (still won't boot) and I selected Repair computer. I've tried all the options there that I can (I'm not sure if the laptop came with a recovery disk or not - if it did I haven't found it yet!).

I can get to a command prompt - is there anything I can do there to help with the problem?

The laptop is running Windows Vista Basic
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:48 AM

The sudden "freeze" & the unit not responding to any startup options , in any way, sounds like the hard drive has failed.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 RobertG

RobertG

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

The sudden "freeze" & the unit not responding to any startup options , in any way, sounds like the hard drive has failed.

if the hard drive failed it would NOT post to the options of boot normally or recovery mode. next time the computer boots up start hitting f8. That will give you the option to boot into safe mode. If you can boot into safe mode then your half of the way to fixing your machine. From safe mode go to the Control Panel and click on the admin tools. Go to log files and see what error the computer is throwing out and try to resolve from there. If it gets stuck in safe mode your gonna have some bigger issues. maybe hardware issues. Worse case your could reinstall windows and start over.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

"I've booted into Advance Boot Options and tried booting into Safe Mode (it won't), I've tried Last Known Configuration (still won't boot) and I selected Repair computer. I've tried all the options there that I can (I'm not sure if the laptop came with a recovery disk or not - if it did I haven't found it yet!)."

The OP has already stated that it won't start in safe mode, or any other mode.

secretangel,

What is the brand & model of the laptop ?

If it didn't come with a reinstallation disk it should have a reinstallation partition on the hard drive.
You should be able to do a "destructive restore" [if the HD is good].
Everything on the hard drive will be loast as a destructive restore will format the drive , reinstall Windows, & it will only have whatever was on it when you first got it.

If a destructive restore doesn't fix it then more then likely the HD has failed.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5310.

After pressing F8 and selecting Repair PC - it takes me into System Recovery Options

The options available are

Startup Repair (this has been run many times, have just run it again, all the tests complete successfully with Error code = 0x0

The final part of the error report states:

Root cause found:

System volume on disk is corrupt
Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

The laptop then restarts and a message "autochk not found - autochk cancelled" is displayed, the laptop then attempts to restart and we're back to square one.

System Restore

When I select this it states that no restore points have been created on your computer's system disk.

Windows Complete PC Restore (Restore your entire computer from a backup)

We don't have a backup

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

no problems are found when running this

Command Prompt

This takes me to

x:\windows\system32>

Is there anything I can type at the command prompt to help or find out what the problem is?

Update

I have managed to find the user manual that came with the laptop and it is possible to restore laptop to factory settings (it has in-built recovery process) - however I don't want to try this just yet as she will obviously lose all her data - if anyone can advise on anything else I can try first I would be very grateful :thumbsup:

Edited by secretangel, 01 May 2009 - 01:39 PM.

Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

This takes me to

Is there anything I can type at the command prompt to help or find out what the problem is?

If it really says "x" as the drive letter, it has lost it's partition info. That would also explain "autochk not found" as there is no such drive. It is more complicated to repair the boot sector in vista then it was in xp as it has been changed.
If you do not have a vista install disc, you're pretty much out of luck.
What I would do:
1. Borrow a vista disc for repair purposes only and use the bootrec.exe tool described in this article.
2. You may have a hidden restore partion. See the two articles from Acer below. (note the password thing) on the first link, then use the"Restore system to factory default" option in the second link. You will loose all software installed after you bought it.
link 1
link 2

EDIT: Oops, see you found the recovery tool. :thumbsup:
Sorry secretangel, links don't appear to stay valid. See "erecovery facts" and "how to use erecovery" here

Edited by HitSquad, 01 May 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#7 joss

joss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:27 PM

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5310.

After pressing F8 and selecting Repair PC - it takes me into System Recovery Options

The options available are

Startup Repair (this has been run many times, have just run it again, all the tests complete successfully with Error code = 0x0

The final part of the error report states:

Root cause found:

System volume on disk is corrupt
Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0

The laptop then restarts and a message "autochk not found - autochk cancelled" is displayed, the laptop then attempts to restart and we're back to square one.

System Restore

When I select this it states that no restore points have been created on your computer's system disk.

Windows Complete PC Restore (Restore your entire computer from a backup)

We don't have a backup

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

no problems are found when running this

Command Prompt

This takes me to

Update

I have managed to find the user manual that came with the laptop and it is possible to restore laptop to factory settings (it has in-built recovery process) - however I don't want to try this just yet as she will obviously lose all her data - if anyone can advise on anything else I can try first I would be very grateful :thumbsup:

Joss.. I just wish someone would answer your question, my wife has the exact same problem and have visited many other sites, but to no avail... please help its got to be a really simple command prompt... Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users