Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox and secure web sites (online banking)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hello. I have an HP Pavilion desktop with Windows XP Home SP 3.

I've been online banking for years with no problems. Within the last 2-3 days, my banking sites have stopped recognizing my computer. I have to keep answering one of my security questions in order to continue on to being able to log into them. I can click on their "yes, register this computer" button, but it doesn't work. The very next time I try to log in again, I am taken back to the page "We don't recognize this computer. Please answer the security question to continue." Again, there is more than one banking site that this is happening on.

The only thing that I can recall changing recently on my PC was an upgrade to the latest version of Firefox. I have NO idea if that is the cause, it is simply the only thing that I am aware of changing on my PC at about the same time this problem started.

To ensure that I am understood properly, I would like to mention a second time that I have been using these sites for a very long time with no problems like this before.

Right now I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this problem, or is even experiencing it themselves.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Edited by rlprlp, 30 April 2009 - 07:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

It doesn't look like anyone is familiar with this problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to the cause, or better yet, how to correct it?

Thank you again.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

I would think that having such passwords stored on your computer is far more undesirable than having to manually input your ID and password each time. Have you checked to see if these are stored in Ff? Tools/Options/Security/Saved Passwords button.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

Thank you for the reply, John. However, I am afraid that you may be misunderstanding my problem. My passwords are not the issue. I use the "RoboForm" password managing program to store and implement my passwords. The problem is that I cannot get my banks' web sites to "recognize" my computer. I keep having to perform an extra step in order to log onto them. I am now having to answer a personal security question such as "What is your favorite food?". I have never had to answer these questions before until recently. Each web site gives the user the option to register their computer so that they do not have to answer these questions in the future. However, this is not working. I am being told every time that the web site does not recognize my computer, and I have to answer a security question.

Also, I neglected to mention that this problem does not occur with Internet Explorer; only with Firefox. On IE, my computer is recognized, and I do not have to answer any security questions before being allowed to enter my password.

#5 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

Do you have Firefox set to accept cookies (Tools --> Options --> Privacy Tab --> check the box next to Accept Cookies from Sites). Firefox shows 7 different cookies stored in my Cookies folder from my bank.

#6 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, my banks' web sites are allowed to use and store cookies on my computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users