Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D Drive not working/MOVED

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nissan6

nissan6

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

This is my first ever post on a computer forum and my computer knowledge is quite limited so any help would be appreciated.
XP Pro service pack 3.
AmiBios 2600.
My computer has been infected with a trojan/backdoor virus which I have not been able to remove yet. I will try more seriously to fix this later.
Anyway, my concern at the moment is that I cant burn music or picture files to disc.
When I was given this computer last year it would not burn/copy to compact disc via windows, even though it would play cd's & dvd"s.
I downloaded "Deep Burner" and this allowed me to do what I needed to do. Nero, which was already installed, was unsuitable for what I needed. This confirmed that the hardware is ok. In "CD Drive D: Properties" screen I am assured that the device is functioning correctly(even though it isn't now). Troubleshooting function is not working/recording tab is not visible(due to virus?). System Restore and starting in safe mode have not provided a solution.

Mid January I was hit with the virus. I have spent lots of time since then trying to find out how to get rid of it, but thats mainly due to my lack of knowledge. and the fact that my access to REGEDIT was blocked. I have now found a way in .
BUT, I NEED TO GET THE CD WORKING.
Post TROJAN/BACKDOOR, which the security system repeatedly cleans/quarantines, Deep Burner won't open. It has now become "deepburner.lnk" and it wont open.
What I want to do is make the burn/copy function work from windows.
There seems to be many choices that the computer can make in deciding if it will allow the D drive to operate as it should.There are no "administrator" issues
involved.... no passwords or lockouts that I have found.

So far I have established that :
BIOS has choices in the "boot" screen. The D drive can be First, Second, or Third choice. It can be enabled or disabled.
QUESTION 1: What are the correct settings in BIOS to allow the D drive to work?
Group Policy(GPEDIT.MSC) has choices concerning my problem.. in User Configuration/Administrative templates/Windows components/Windows explorer there is the ability to enable/disable/not configure the "remove CD burning function". I find it difficult to comprehend the "Double Dutch" language used here.
Services(Local)(SERVICES.MSC) has choices ....in IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service I can choose to start/stop the device. There are 4 tabs to navigate. Every time I start the device, the next time I restart the computer it reverts to stop.
QUESTION 2: What are the correct settings fot these items? Once again there are no "administrator" issues here.
The virus has, no doubt, made changes to the Registry.
QUESTION 3: What registry settings do I need to fully enable D Drive operation remembering there are no "administrator" conflicts to confuse things.
This is probably my main problem area.
QUESTION 4: Are there any other areas I need to look at.

As stated above my knowledge is limited so if anyone can help me, using "baby steps" it would be much appreciated.
BTW this seems to be a good forum.
Thanks,
John.

Edited by garmanma, 30 April 2009 - 07:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

:flowers:

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, Mate.

First thing you need to do is get rid of the Trojan and wait until that is done.

I have asked for you to be moved to the Right Section to allow Professionals to Help you, then they will transfer you back here. Please be Patient?

:thumbsup:

#3 nissan6

nissan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:29 AM

Bonza, mate. What a quick reply, and from a fellow Aussie.
One problem, looks like a full removal of virus issues will require a trip to a professional. Due to Global Financial Crisis(and personal financial crisis) I cant afford
professional help at present.

Sorry, what is the best section to post this?
Regards,
John.

Edited by nissan6, 30 April 2009 - 05:38 AM.

#4 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:26 PM

:thumbsup:

You are now in "Am I Infected" someone will come along soon, just be Patient, they are Professionals in this Section and there are no charges, all are Volunteers, only thing they ask for is Thanks .

:flowers: :trumpet:

#5 nissan6

nissan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:48 AM

I have made some progress today.
I went to regedit HKEY current user\software\microsoft\windows\current users\explorer\cdburning\drives.
Following instructions in microsoft support bulletin 316529, I changed the numerical value from "3" to "2".
This has made the Recording tab in cd drive d visible and I was able to configure to record.
I am no longer getting the error message "D:/ not accessible- incorrect function" and files now want to copy
BUT they still wont burn.
I am now 2 steps closer to my solution. Would anyone like to take it further?
Thanks,
John.

#6 nissan6

nissan6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:05 AM

FINALLLLY!!

I plucked up the courage to edit the registry with the help of info from DougKnox.com with video tutorial on importing files to the registry from http://www.expertvillage.com/about_23_computers.htm.
I can now burn my material to disc and fix up all my virus problems.

Mods please stop/ remove this thread if necessary.
Thanks
John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users