Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My desktop compaq likes to shut itself off and restart rando

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 irishmist48

irishmist48

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:11 AM

HI,
My computer will randomly decide to turn off and restart. Sometimes it will happen after the comp[uter is on for a couple of hours, other times it is just a few minutes after I turn it on. I tried vacuuming the dust out of the back of the tower because I read that maybe the fans were clogged with dust and dirt. The problem is still occurring though. I also read that it could be the power source or a broken CPU fan. I don't really know how to fix either of those problems. I downloaded hijack this and have a log saved. Please help! I guess I am pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff, but I will be very appreciative of any help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:39 AM

First do this:
Start
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenace
System
Advanced tab
Startup and Recovery - Settings
Ensure Automatically Restart is unticked

If your PC is giving a BSOD before it reboots this will make sure you have enough time to write down the error string.

It will look something like this:
0x00000000 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

If you do get a error like this please post the string as it appears.

It could also be a hardware problem. Have a look at Event Viewer:
Start
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenace
Admin Tools
Event Viewer
System

Look at the time approx when your PC shut down it may give a indication of what's wrong, there are also links in the errors which take you to MS webpages.

UltimateBootCD
If you have broadband download the above CD it has quite a few diagnostic tools which you can run on your system. I'd start with hdd diagnostic and memory testers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users