Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office XP or MS Office 2003?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:18 PM

I have the opportunity to purchase either MS Office XP or MS Office 2003 at a student discount.
I'm wondering what users opinions are as to which one to choose.

Thanks for the input,

Mary
Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:17 PM

Have you checked out OpenOffice?
It's Free and supposed to have all of the functionality of MS Office.
Just a suggestion.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:15 AM

Hi Mary, I would probably go with the Office 2003 since it is M$'s newest release it will ultimately be supported longer than XP will. You may as well look to the future longevity and since you get the student discount, you really can't lose by going with it. I had to buy Office XP for my schooling a year and a half ago and if I had the choice you have now, I would have went with the 2003 version.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

I would go with Office 2003. But I like the suggestion to use OpenOffice.Org, which is free and almost completely MS Office compatible.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:06 PM

Thanks all for the input. The class I'm interested in required Excel 2003. I don't know if OpenOffice would suffice for this particular professor.

As you can see in my signature I'm running Windows98se. Unfortunately I've discovered that I will have to get a different operating system to use either since they require WindowsXP or Windows 2000 to install either of the MS Office products.

I've stayed with Windows 98se because for me it's been a very good system, and it hasn't been plagued with the security flaws that have required massive updates like XP has. I was hoping to hold out until Longhorn comes out, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to.

Again, Thank you all for the advice,

Mary
Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#6 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:12 PM

I use MS office 2003, i only really use it for Word2003, which for a student who needs to write papers, it has some very handy new features (a great theasaurus to name but a few). MS Frontpage 2003, i have Dreamweaver which is regarded as being the best web editor money can buy, i fully agree with this, but if you have a web site which is running Frontpage extensions, then MS FrontPage 2003 is the best "site management" tool money can buy!!.
I havn't even started on the other office 2003 programs i have, but when i do, the great thing about them is they all have a generic interface, so all you need to learn is the basics of the program and not where all the buttons are located.

I have used some of the free office programs, but they full well short in features and functionality (i havn't used OpenOffice, well not that i can remember anyway) but for anyone on a low or none existent budget, the free office programs will enable you to do nearly everything that the MS equivalent programs can do.
Just remember it's like comparing a free graphics program (like dogwaffle or gimp) to Adobe Photoshop, the free version will do the basics, while photoshop will blow your mind!!!!

These are just my honest opinions, I'm no expert :thumbsup:

Chief.

#7 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:38 AM

if i were to choose between office xp and 2003, i would say XP,
really there's not much difference. appart from the new appearance.
Some functions have changed. but the only major update to it is Outlook 2003.
Depending on pricing Office 2003 Student & teacher is quite reasonable at around $270 if you find and office XP for under $160 i'd grab it. anymore than that go for 2003 since it'll be supported longer.

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:49 AM

I used Office2000 Professional because I relied on Excel.
OpenOffice is completely compatible with Excel.
Preferable, in some ways.
MS reads OOO & vice-versa.

Access is better in MS Office Suites,
but Open Office can be loaded with simply those you use,
of the entire "shootin'" match.
I'd suggest downloading it and trying it.
Especially with win98.
It uses less system resources.
Slightly different GUI.
Doesn't take long to understand & appreciate the subtle differences.

You can use both, they do not conflict. :thumbsup:

I do.

Edited by phawgg, 18 January 2005 - 02:51 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#9 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:11 AM

i have used open office i could not open open office files in MS office, but open office could open MS office files. don't know why.

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:44 AM

I'll try to check on that, Izzy and post back in a couple days.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users