Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Outlook Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fluxx23

fluxx23

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

Greetings,

I recently went to a friend's house to help her clear her machine off of some spyware. But once I found it was infected with over 700 instances of spyware, trojans and crapware I decided it was time to format and reinstall windows.

I backed up parts of the computer but missed the Local Settings folder which apparently contains the folders and files I really need to try and get back.

Semi-fortunately, I only did a quick format of the hard drive. And I've installed minimal software so far.

All operations have ceased until I can recover these files for Outlook Express. I know I'm looking for DBX files but I did a scan with PC Inspector to no avail. I found a ton of DBF files but the program crashed when I tried to restore them.

Any of you suggest some method or software specialized for finding these files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fluxx23

fluxx23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:06 AM

Small Update-->

I've got a trial of ZAR (Zero Assumption Recover) which I must say is an awesome program! I've gotten closer with this than any other things. Now I've found a few of the dbx files (one very important one being Contacts.dbx) but it seems the file may be totally corrupt. I have no way of viewing it, let alone importing back into Outlook. Any words on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users