Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to revamp the home page.....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

I really enjoy this forum and have used your help to cure several friends computers. I have been active now on this website for around 2 months and I remember how confusing it was for me the first time I tried to get some help here. As someone who gets up every morning and checks the new post to gleam some knowledge from the "pro's" here, I am constantly reminded by the "newbee's" that this website could be a lot more user friendly. I apologize if this affends anybody, but most people I know "stumble" on this website after searching for information regarding problems with their computer. It would be nice to see the homepage updated to better direct people to the proper forums to post their topics. Also, visitors should have a source to better understand some of the software that is used on this website and that they shouldn't just download and run Combofix because it was prescribed for someone else's problem. Don't get me wrong. I love this website and think it is the best place to go to solve problems with computers. I just think it needs a little better organization to help direct people to the proper forums and help. Just my thoughts.

(Moderator edit and note: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 30 April 2009 - 09:18 AM.

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

Golfdude.

I don't think anyone should be offended by your very pertinent points. I have been coming to this site daily for years and it is only my experience that enables me to go straight to what I am looking for.

I agree that a comprehensive index page would be a big help for everyone. What does the team think?

Cheers, Rob

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

I think it should be left as it is.
Every website I've seen "updated" or "improved" got worse & harder to use.

I joined BleepingComputer after quiting another forum that was "improved" to a total mess.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 golfdude

golfdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

I think it should be left as it is.
Every website I've seen "updated" or "improved" got worse & harder to use.

I joined BleepingComputer after quiting another forum that was "improved" to a total mess.

I understand what you are staying fairjoeblue, but if done correctly it would be beneficial to the people who stumble across BC when trying to resolve computer problems. HJT and AII are the two busiest forums and in a lot of situations a little more instruction on what people should do before posting could make the solutions a little more efficient.

Just an example- your are having problems with your computer and you do a search and stumble upon Bleeping Computer. After going to the BC website "for the first time" you are redirected to create an username and password. After doing this you are given a drop down list regarding what your problem is (ie: virus-malware, OS, ect). If you have a virus problem you are directed to say, AII, with instructions to download MBAM, update it, run a quick scan, then post the log. In many cases this would save the staff the time of constantly posting this information for new members. Not to mention, the HJT team is backlogged around two weeks and people get impatient and start double posting. If the situation is such, then the topic can be moved from AII to HJT. The response time would be better and you would see less double posting and better service to the new members.

Also, if the new members were better directed in what to do and what not to do (Combofix), the staff would not have to constantly backtrack and explain this to the new members. I agree, Keep It Simple and no one likes things to change when they are familiar with the current setup. However, as someone who recently stumbled upon BC and made several missteps trying to post in the correct forum and do the right things- this could help.

Just try to keep an open mind. It could actually get better :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

In addition to helping Members and performing the mundane tasks necessary to keep BC's forums running, the Staff continually looks for ways to improve BC. Comments and suggestions from Members often result in staff discussions, in rethinking, and eventual changes though perhaps in a slightly different manner than the original.
Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions.
Regards,
John
Global Moderator
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

:thumbsup:

I honestly think that the Family attitude of BC is enough, when people get lost, someone is usually there to lend a gentle hand to get them to the right place.

Maybe, If I could be so Bold? More Staff to assist those from non American Time Zones could make it work smoother? Often people have to wait Hours because a Staff Member is not available.

Just my two Cents worth.

:flowers:

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

Also, visitors should have a source to better understand some of the software that is used on this website ....

In many cases this would save the staff the time of constantly posting this information for new members.

All first responders give explicit directions, as to how to download, install, run, and post a log, for any programs they recommend.
Most use "canned" speeches, so a reply is just a case of, copy/paste.
The AII forum was set up as a triage forum, to try and alleviate some of the backlog in the HJT forum.
As the name suggests, Am I Infected?, it's the forum to post to, if you think you are infected.
If you are found to be infected, and the problem can't be handled there, you are referred to the HJT forum, with a link to the proper procedure to follow, before posting.
If you're found to not have any type of infections, but instead, a software/hardware problem, you are redirected to post to the proper forum, or the topic is just moved there.

.... and that they shouldn't just download and run Combofix because it was prescribed for someone else's problem.

.... more instruction on what people should do before posting could make the solutions a little more efficient.

Also, if the new members were better directed in what to do and what not to do (Combofix), ....

All of this information can be found in the various "pinned topics", posted at the top of their appropriate forums.
Unfortunately, most people are in such a hurry to get help, that they don't take the time to review these posts.
It's human nature, "I need help, and I need it now! I don't have time to read all of theses topics, that don't pertain to me.", even though they do pertain to you. :thumbsup:
I don't think re-posting them, at multiple locations will help alleviate this problem, and will only serve to clutter up the board, with more topics that people won't take the time to read.

A few examples:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Before You Post About A Problem
Am I Infected? What Do I Do?
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis and other Malware Removal Tools
Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware

Also, posted at the top of every page in the AII forum:

When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix logs. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

To receive help, you should instead provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system. This information is much more useful to our helpers than a ComboFix log.

We also have an entire forum, with instructions on how to use the board, and it's various functions:
New User Orientation

.... to better direct people to the proper forums to post their topics.

.... as someone who recently stumbled upon BC and made several missteps trying to post in the correct forum and do the right things-

Each forum has a description, describing what is discussed in the forum.
I think this is another case of being in a hurry, and not taking the time to read all descriptions, before picking a forum, and posting. :flowers:
If someone posts to the wrong forum by mistake, a Moderator, or higher, will move it to the correct forum.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:56 PM

:thumbsup:

I honestly think that the Family attitude of BC is enough, when people get lost, someone is usually there to lend a gentle hand to get them to the right place.

Maybe, If I could be so Bold? More Staff to assist those from non American Time Zones could make it work smoother? Often people have to wait Hours because a Staff Member is not available.

Just my two Cents worth.

:flowers:

There are many members here who can assist anyone at anytime. Some are staff members, but the majority are not.
Many of the non-staff members are very knowledgable, they give solid advice and solutions.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 May 2009 - 10:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users