Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'm considering running ComboFix without guidance from a helper, and I wanted to see if you all think I'm just being really stupid. I'm a network admin for a small company, so I know just enough to be dangerous, as they say.

I'm having a serious problem on my personal PC at home that resulted from a virus that has now been removed. I saw a 4/27/09 post from bigjeff80 that said he had solved the same problem using ComboFix. I also see from scanning posts for the last several days that no one here is apparently responding any longer to posts dealing with that particular virus, and that's why I'm contemplating trying this on my own.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. - BTW, I did post details regarding my problem earlier today in HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal. (That's actually where I meant to post this note!)

Edited by bigdaddydave, 29 April 2009 - 07:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

I say go for it. After all, it's only your computer and your information. Throw caution to the wind and all of that stuff. If it was me and my information, I would rather have some guidance from some of the people on this forum. However, there is always reformatting........

Edited by golfdude, 29 April 2009 - 07:51 PM.

Thanks,
Golfdude

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

You are not the only one with problems seeking help
We are trying as best as we can
If you choose to run Combofix on your own. You will probably not get much assistance if things go wrong in the process
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

Garmanma,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I felt I was being ignored -- I don't. I just noticed that for whatever reason every post over the past several days entitled "Spyware Protect 2009" had no replies. So I figured my topic may likely be doomed to the same fate.

I realize you guys are graciously giving of your time to do this sort of thing, so I'll be grateful for any advice I get, and I won't be upset if I don't get any.

For now I'll try a few more avenues before attempting ComboFix on my own, and I'll periodically check back here to see if I get any replies.

Regards,
Dave

#5 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

Dave,

Did you try doing the "Uninstall Instructions" that are listed on the BC Home Page?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re...re-protect-2009

Just trying to help,
Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

Intel i7-3820, 32 GB DDR3-1600, Intel 330 SSD Boot Drive, WD 3TB Data Drive, Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition, Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

#6 bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

I've done all of that and then some. Actually, now that you mention it, I see that there's one thing I didn't do. The instructions say to run DDS and post the log. I'm not sure that that's necessary since I've already posted a HijackThis log. I'll plan to go ahead and run DDS tonight and have the log ready to post tomorrow if requested. But I don't think I'll add the log yet because that might reset my post date and put me back at the end of the queue waiting for help.

Thanks,
Dave

#7 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Dave,

If you are going to post a HJT log, please post it in this forum:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

#8 bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

It's already posted here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...opic223240.html

#9 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

Dave,

Have some patience, please. They are really busy over there and help can sometimes take a couple of weeks. I realize this can seem like an eternity when you want to get your computer fixed. However, they are doing the best they can.

Take care and goodluck.
Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

#10 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

Golfdude. Sorry I missed your link.

Edited by KoanYorel, 01 May 2009 - 01:47 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#11 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

Dave,

I just checked your link to your other post and your database on Mbam is way out of date:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 1945
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

4/28/2009 7:24:18 PM
log

The current database version is 2065. Please update Mbam through the program and re-run a quickscan. It may be the ticket to solving your problem. The program doesn't update itself, and trust me, it is a very good program.

Please do this and see if it helps.
Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:50 PM

I was asked to look at this thread, but since you have posted in the HJT forum we are not supposed to help here now. Just consider this thread closed.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#13 bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

Tom,

I'd like to update MBAM, but I don't have Internet access on the problem PC. Is there a way to download the update here at work and then take it home and apply it?

-Dave

#14 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Dave,

I tried to get the authority of Mbam to hook up on this topic... he also works this website and Mbam..., but because you posted in HJT, he said he couldn't. Anyway, download the newest definition to a thumbdrive or CD and take it home. I wish Chewy was involved 'cause he is the "Expert". However, look at the files and copy the new def's into the folder. You seem to have a great deal on knowledge and I am sure you can do this.

Tom

Thanks,
Golfdude

#15 golfdude

golfdude

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

The file is saved as such:

Posted Image

Thanks,
Golfdude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users