Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buzzing Noise With Speakers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cpumelter

cpumelter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

My pc speakers will buzz, or sometimes "motorboat". If I have the volume turned up on the external speaker control, it is very noticeable. The type of noise I get varies. For example, if I put my mouse on the scroll bar on the right side of this page & pull it down, I will get a "buzz" that corresponds with the page movement.

Any ideas on where to start to look to isolate this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

Have you tried lowering the volume of the speaker's external volume control, and raising it through Windows or through applications you use?

Try the speakers in a different computer, and try a different pair of speakers with your computer.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

Try rerouting and isolate your speaker cables as best as you can, away from any power cables and your mouse cable.
If your speakers plug into a 110 outlet try using a different one than what your computer plugs into
They do make inexpensive chokes that you can wrap a few turns of speaker cable through to help eliminate noise interference
http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...chokes&sr=1
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 cpumelter

cpumelter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

Have you tried lowering the volume of the speaker's external volume control, and raising it through Windows or through applications you use?

I have done that, but some sites like youtube where the videos vary so much in volume/quality, i then have to raise the external vol. level. I will do the other things you suggested & post back w/ the results.

Edited by cpumelter, 29 April 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Ascension

Ascension

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

I just built a new pc for my office and I have this annoying hum/buzz coming through my desktop speakers connected to my line out... it is not loud and I don't think it will damage the speakers but it is noticeable and annoying when surfing web... Everytime a page loads of I move the mouse and use the directionals on keyboard to scroll a window it makes this low level buzzing noise.. It also happens during video playback..
Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I tried to adjust all device volumes, reinstalled the sound drivers..... Made sure wires inside of case were connected correctly, unplugged mouse (still happens with keyboard directionals), mobo is screwed into case correctly.. I am at a loss, I had the same keyboard and mouse with old computer and it did not hum lol.

My new build components:

apex 008 itx case
zotac e6100 mobo
AMD anthlon dual core regor 240
Running XP Home

I realize thread is old but thought it would be better to not create a whole new thread for issue that is exactly like OP's.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

Well basically what is happening is the amplifiers are picking up sporadic emissions from another electrical source.

It can be caused by florescent lighting near by, which is common in an office environment, or that happens to be on the same AC circuit in the building.

It can also be caused by an inferior audio circuit design on the motherboard. (Poor filtering)

Sometimes those speakers are not shielded to prevent outside emissions from being picked up and transfered to the amplifiers.

It can be transfered from the monitors circuitry to the speakers which are close by. (Try moving them further from the monitor screen)
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Ascension

Ascension

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

Its gotta be something from the new computer cause the speakers were working without issue prior... I was thinking of putting nylon or rubber washers between the mobo and case...

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

Its gotta be something from the new computer cause the speakers were working without issue prior... I was thinking of putting nylon or rubber washers between the mobo and case...

Did your case come with Metal Standoff's and if so did you use them?

#9 Ascension

Ascension

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:50 AM

The mobo didn't come with them, nor did the case.. Might be worth a try.. The case has small bumps on the floor of it though so that the mobo is not resting on the case.. But they are metal with no insulator..

Edited by Ascension, 14 April 2010 - 01:53 AM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:53 AM

Id get another case like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129058

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:04 AM

The mobo didn't come with them, nor did the case.. Might be worth a try.. The case has small bumps on the floor of it though so that the mobo is not resting on the case.. But they are metal with no insulator..

You do have metal screws holding this motherboard in place correct?

If not, what exactly is holding the motherboard in place?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

Everytime a page loads of I move the mouse and use the directionals on keyboard to scroll a window it makes this low level buzzing noise.. It also happens during video playback..
Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

The effect is called crosstalk - the bursts of data transfer involved in updating the screen image are creating electrical noise that is being picked up by the audio circuitry.

There are a range of possible causes, some have been touched on already. I suggest your first steps should be process of elimination, to try to establish whether the problem is caused within the system case, or outside.

To check MrBruce's suggestion of the monitor as a source, temporarily disconnect the video lead from the socket on the back of the computer, then use the directional keys to scroll up & down, see if the effect is eliminated or reduced. If it's still there, the monitor is not the cause, or not entirely the cause.

To check if the speakers are picking up unduly because of poor shielding, can you borrow different speakers to try? Alternatively, listen to the output from the socket on the computer with a pair of sensitive headphones. If you can still hear the buzzes, it's happening inside the system case. If headphones or different speakers don't buzz, use different speakers or try wrapping the existing speaker leads through ferrite interference suppressors (stores such as Radio Shack have them).

If you can prove the buzzes are being caused within the system case, some possibilities that spring to mind are:

Poor motherboard design. If either or both video and audio are on-board, you can try using video card/sound card, with the sound card in the slot physically furthest from the video card. Other than that, if poor motherboard design is the cause, little may be able to be done.

Poor filtering in the PSU. If possible, try a high quality PSU to see if it helps. This may also help if the problem is poor supply rail filtering on the motherboard.

Poor earthing. The ground plane of the motherboard should be connected to the metal casing by at least one metal securing screw. If you can get the use of a resistance meter (multimeter) the earth pin of the mains socket on the PSU should have a zero resistance (effectively) connection to the metal system casing.

As a last resort, if the BIOS setup has an option called Spread Spectrum, you could enable it & see if it makes any difference. It varies the system clock frequencies slightly so all the clock transitions don't always occur together, which reduces the effective intensity of radiated energy. But it can reduce the system stability, so is normally only used if a system can't meet electrical interference standards any other way.

Edited by Platypus, 14 April 2010 - 07:33 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

Everytime a page loads of I move the mouse and use the directionals on keyboard to scroll a window it makes this low level buzzing noise.. It also happens during video playback..
Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

The effect is called crosstalk - the bursts of data transfer involved in updating the screen image are creating electrical noise that is being picked up by the audio circuitry.

There are a range of possible causes, some have been touched on already. I suggest your first steps should be process of elimination, to try to establish whether the problem is caused within the system case, or outside.

To check MrBruce's suggestion of the monitor as a source, temporarily disconnect the video lead from the socket on the back of the computer, then use the directional keys to scroll up & down, see if the effect is eliminated or reduced. If it's still there, the monitor is not the cause, or not entirely the cause.

To check if the speakers are picking up unduly because of poor shielding, can you borrow different speakers to try? Alternatively, listen to the output from the socket on the computer with a pair of sensitive headphones. If you can still hear the buzzes, it's happening inside the system case. If headphones or different speakers don't buzz, use different speakers or try wrapping the existing speaker leads through ferrite interference suppressors (stores such as Radio Shack have them).

If you can prove the buzzes are being caused within the system case, some possibilities that spring to mind are:

Poor motherboard design. If either or both video and audio are on-board, you can try using video card/sound card, with the sound card in the slot physically furthest from the video card. Other than that, if poor motherboard design is the cause, little may be able to be done.

Poor filtering in the PSU. If possible, try a high quality PSU to see if it helps. This may also help if the problem is poor supply rail filtering on the motherboard.

Poor earthing. The ground plane of the motherboard should be connected to the metal casing by at least one metal securing screw. If you can get the use of a resistance meter (multimeter) the earth pin of the mains socket on the PSU should have a zero resistance (effectively) connection to the metal system casing.

As a last resort, if the BIOS setup has an option called Spread Spectrum, you could enable it & see if it makes any difference. It varies the system clock frequencies slightly so all the clock transitions don't always occur together, which reduces the effective intensity of radiated energy. But it can reduce the system stability, so is normally only used if a system can't meet electrical interference standards any other way.

Good solid advice! I forgot to mention the ferrite bars when I made that post, thanks for the input and the reminder to me that I forgot to add that part about the ferrite bars! TEAM WORK!! :thumbsup:

#14 Ascension

Ascension

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:16 AM

The mobo is definitely screwed into the case with screws (metal) lol.

Yeah I removed monitor cable previously and it didn't make a difference.. I also plugged my speakers into a different wall outlet, ran the wires away from anything that could cause the interference to no avail. I plugged in headphones today and the noise is in the headphones as well.. Funny you should mention a filter cause I was going to pick up a 3.5mm filter and see if that would make a difference. Its definitely a internal problem so I think I am going to give Zotac a call and ask them for some input. I do have another PSU so I am goig to try that first though.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

Just out of curiosity is your sound card drivers labled as AC'97 Audio codecs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users