Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet doesn't Connect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonH

BrandonH

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

Hi. This ties in to my Infection topic I posted. I'm still not sure if the net problem is related to malware. The only reason I assume it is related to an infection is because of the other problems I'm encountering with it - slow startup, missing sys tray icons, and system restore being prevented. I turned system restore off and restarted, then turned it back on and restarted. But when I attempt to create a system restore point, I get a message saying it couldn't be created and to restart and try again. But it didn't work. Back to the net problem. First of all, our initial connection was two PCI ethernet adapters installed on the desktop. One cable ran from the Intel Pro 100 VE adapter to the DSL modem (Netopia 2241N). Another cable went from Dynex DX-E101 adapter to the laptop. The connections were bridged and always worked. I updated the Intel adapter's driver and attempted a connection directly to the DSL modem. When I ran connection diagnostics on the adapter, it said the test couldn't be completed because TCP/IP wasn't configured for the connection. But under Network Connection Properties, it says TCP/IP is configured to automatically obtain IP address and DNS service address. Not sure why it suddenly stopped working. The laptop connection works when directly connected to the DSL modem. Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrandonH

BrandonH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 03:08 AM

Hi. I'm not worried about malware anymore. But it may have caused registry errors. In event viewer, I have a couple different TCP/IP errors that occur because the file is not found. Then there's the System Restore issue, slow startup and missing systray items, and DiskCheck would not work. An error occurs saying it could not be completed. For TCP/IP error, I've already tried Microsoft's guide to reset it and WinSock XP Fix to no avail. I'm wary to try this suggestion: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=487733. Plus, it wouldn't solve the other problems anyway. I've used TuneUp Utilities disk checking component. It finished in a split second and found no errors. Then I tried the Ariolic Disk Scanner, and it found nothing. So would reformatting the drive solve these errors? If you could just please tell me yes or no, I'd like to do it right away. Thank you.

Edit: Also, I've run Registry Mechanic that didn't fix anything. I've never backed up the registry before aside from Restore points, and since I turned off and then turned back on System Restore any registry backups have probably been erased.

Brandon

Edited by BrandonH, 03 May 2009 - 11:54 AM.

#3 BrandonH

BrandonH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Just wanted to notify that I have reinstalled windows and the problem seems to be fixed. Thank you.

#4 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

Just wanted to notify that I have reinstalled windows and the problem seems to be fixed. Thank you.

the ultimate solution :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users