Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Software

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

I am completely new to Linux and am just trying to get a clearer picture of what it is all about before taking the plunge.

Questions:

1) If I go to a repository such as Softpedia.com and download Linux software (say, for instance, Mozilla Thunderbird for Linux), will I be able to install such software with any of the numerous Linux distributions available? Any caveats?

2) I am still on dial-up and my WinModem is not recognized by any of the Linux major distributions I have tested so far. So, I am thinking about purchasing a U.S. Robotics USR5610C (PCI, internal, controller-based). U.S. Robotics states that this modem only works if Linux's kernel is 2.3 or higher. How would I check whether the kernel of a Linux distribution is 2.3 or higher?

3) Which Linux distributions offer some sort of setup wizard for dial-up modems? (So far, I have only found Fedora 10. Is the whole Linux community on broadband only?? I can't be the only one still on dial-up, and yet the latest distributions of Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, Linux Mint don't seem to offer a setup wizard for dial-up connections. I am new to Linux, so maybe I am not looking in the right spot!)

Thanks.
--
tb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

1) If I go to a repository such as Softpedia.com and download Linux software (say, for instance, Mozilla Thunderbird for Linux), will I be able to install such software with any of the numerous Linux distributions available? Any caveats?

Most Linux applications won't be found at places like Softpedia (though they do have some apps, and most of them will work on any Linux platform that has the required software on it. For example, one program I looked at on Softpedia requires that Python be installed first. Python is available for all versions of Linux, so this program will run on any version of Linux.)

Most Linux distributions maintain their own lists of software (which are actually called "repositories.") These repositories are accessed directly by the Linux OS to download and install thousands of free programs that are available as pre-configured packages. These packages will make sure that your computer has all the necessary programs (called "dependencies") before installing the new program automatically.

Here's a good short primer on installing programs under Ubuntu: link.

2) I am still on dial-up and my WinModem is not recognized by any of the Linux major distributions I have tested so far. So, I am thinking about purchasing a U.S. Robotics USR5610C (PCI, internal, controller-based). U.S. Robotics states that this modem only works if Linux's kernel is 2.3 or higher. How would I check whether the kernel of a Linux distribution is 2.3 or higher?

3) Which Linux distributions offer some sort of setup wizard for dial-up modems? (So far, I have only found Fedora 10. Is the whole Linux community on broadband only?? I can't be the only one still on dial-up, and yet the latest distributions of Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, Linux Mint don't seem to offer a setup wizard for dial-up connections. I am new to Linux, so maybe I am not looking in the right spot!)

Winmodems will, I think, never work under anything but Windows. Perhaps there's some hacker out there working on the problem, but with the proliferation of broadband, it's not likely to be a priority (sorry blackspyder! lol!)

Here's a tutorial which shows you how to set up your modem under Ubuntu: link.

The latest kernel version is 2.6.something. Any modern distro will be using at least 2.4, and all major distros (like Ubuntu and Fedora/Red Hat) are using 2.6 kernels.

PS: There's another thread going on right now about WinModems: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/222994/linux-and-winmodems/

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 29 April 2009 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users