Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

waiting for www.cia.gov

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jeffholman

jeffholman

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:46 AM

i'm using firefox and i was looking at the following webpage:

Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

when I refresh with F5, the status bar displays a couple of things i can't see, but the last thing it displays is "waiting for www.cia.gov"

what is going on here? am i just crazy? does this happen for anyone else?

-jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:25 AM

I could not duplicate your problem either on FF or Mozilla. Does this happen when you do that sequence on other pages?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:35 AM

According to what I see in your HiJack Logs it would seem your are not running any anti-virus program and are only (maybe) using the XP firewall. Until that situation is rectified you are likely to see all kinds of strange things.

I would suggest AVG Free and Kerio Personal Firewall . Also see Simple steps to keep your computer secure!.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 jeffholman

jeffholman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

i'm using windows firewall, and just started using ClamWin Free Antivirus, but am having a little troulbe interpreting results on ClamWin and then knowing what to do with it. is AVG free, free forever?

is windows firewall not sufficient?

if you reply that i need this firewall and that antivirus program, i will install both and see what happens.

oh yeah, it doesn't happen with any webpage so far, but i'm still looking on everyone. i'll let you know if it happens on another page.

thanks for your help.

#5 jeffholman

jeffholman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:44 PM

i'm now running sygate and avast antivirus and have run the antivirus program, spybot search and destroy, adaware, windows antispyware BEta and the effect persists......crazy. i wonder what this means.

-jeff

#6 WhyBeNormal

WhyBeNormal

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:19 PM

i'm using firefox and i was looking at the following webpage:

Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years

when I refresh with F5, the status bar displays a couple of things i can't see, but the last thing it displays is "waiting for www.cia.gov"

what is going on here? am i just crazy? does this happen for anyone else?

-jeff

The same thing happened when I reloaded the page. I guessed that the flag images are from the CIA site, and I was indeed correct. :thumbsup:

Right click on one of the flags and choose Properties to see for yourself.
Posted Image

#7 jeffholman

jeffholman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:37 PM

silly me. but that is pretty hilarious. finally learning how to get all this stuff off my computer has clouded my judgment and made me a little too paranoid. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users