Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D-link DI524 / 1 of 5 PCs can't see network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trails38

trails38

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

BACKGROUND: I have 6 PC's (5 WinXP Pro and 1 Windows Vista Home Premium) networked; internet access is cable. Most of the time, all connections are reliable. However, I frequently must reboot my Linksys BEFSR81 router to reconnect the network to the internet and/or to allow communication within the network; the router drops connections erratically - a week may pass with no reboots required, but I have had to reboot 8 times in one work day. (I also have a Linksys 5 port workgroup switch and Netgear switch in order to provide ample connectivity for PC's and peripherals). I just replaced the Linksys router with a D-Link DI-524 router which also adds wireless capabilities. I do not have warranty coverage on the D-link router as I purchased it about a year ago but hadn't used it until now.
PROBLEM: I used Network Magic to make the new network primary on each PC and almost everything went smoothly. However, one PC (a laptop with no wireless card) cannot see other networked computers - it did not have a problem previously and Network Magic does not show any connectivity problem now. When I use "My Network Places" to try to establish a connection, I can see the network name, but when I click on the + sign to see the PC's and shared folders on the network, the screen freezes for about 20 seconds or so and then the + sign disappears. I have tried rebooting everything; I plugged the Asus notebook and 1 other PC directly into the router to eliminate potential connectivity problems; created a new "small office network" and used it for the problem PC and one other PC; but the problem is unchanged. When I go back to using the original router, everything works (until I have to reboot) but that is certainly not the optimal solution. I'll purchase a different router if that's what it takes, but I don't understand why this problem is occurring. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance - Linda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trails38

trails38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

UPDATE to this problem: I installed a different router: Netgear MR814V2. The same problem is occurring with this one. I realize this router does not have the latest capabilities (although the older Linksys has no problem with this ASUS) and am willing to buy a new router, but I really don't have the money to buy a router just in case it would help. Anyone have a suggestion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users