Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how fast should dial-up download?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slashermcgurkin

slashermcgurkin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:47 AM

I just bought a lightning fast computer, but it takes longer for web pages to come uo than it did on my old 366mghz. It downloads files about the sames, but thats only about 4 or 5 kbps. I may be ignorant but I've got a 56 modem and thats a lot of difference. Please let me know if anyone can help, or need to know more details. Thanks a bunch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:16 AM

Hello slashermcgurkin and welcome to BC

Try one of the speed test at the bottom of this post. Do it three times and copy and paste the results back here.

As for the page loading, this slowness could be caused by a number of factors. Post back with some specs from your computer such as amount of Ram and the operating system.

Edited by Leurgy, 22 June 2005 - 10:17 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 slashermcgurkin

slashermcgurkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

I have a p4 3.2 ghz, 512 DDR, windows xp home and aol 9.0 opt. I was running 9.0 SE on a celeron366 mhz over the same connection and the pages loaded faster. I know I need to get cable or dsl. And how fast should files download if everything is optimal, just a general idea.Thanks

#4 slashermcgurkin

slashermcgurkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:29 AM

This page was loaded in 18.031 seconds.
Choose a button: Click here before printing
Your throughput 1940 cps

Typical 14K 1700 cps

Typical 28.8K 3400 cps

Typical 33.6K 4000 cps

Typical 42K 5000 cps

Typical 50K 6000 cps

#5 slashermcgurkin

slashermcgurkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

kbps
Yours «23 down
«16 up

ugh 62 «33.6k modem download speed kbps

ugh 125 «typical 56k modem download speed

bearable 187 «

ok 250 «

ok 312 «150k Video Stream

ok 375 «Fastest multiplayer games

ok 437 «192k 'near CD quality' MP3

ok 500 «300k Video Stream

(half megabit not shown)
(1mbit barrier not shown

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:08 AM

That is a really slow connection. I've seen a 56K modem running at 52K, but thats as good as it gets. More common is 46 or 48K, which is acceptable. If you were to connect at 33.6K then you know that your ISP has you connected to older technology, but you would have to ask them why. Usually its a case of them over-selling their capacity. A common tactic of dial up providers is to start advertising heavily and intentionally oversubscribing. They then take the influx of cash to upgrade their service.

When you make a dialup connection, your modem communicates with a modem at your ISP. Your connection will only be as fast as the slowest link in the chain. In your case, I would have the phone company come out and check the phone lines. This is a common cause of slow connections. Do you hear static when you pick up the phone? This indicates a "dirty" line. Also, call your ISP and question your speeds. The techies that work for them can walk you through your settings to see if you can get any improvements.

Edited by Leurgy, 23 June 2005 - 06:09 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users