Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A series of problems that defy explanations (at least for me)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VIS1970

VIS1970

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm glad that you are here. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.

My problems actually stem back to around January. I tried to run an install program for the FTP program Flash FXP. It would not work at all. I would click on the .exe file and nothing would happen. I tried the file on my laptop and it worked fine. I figured I had a virus of some type so I upgraded to AVG and ran a scan. It found some tracking cookies and some virus' and I got rid of them. However, still Flash FXP would not install. A few days later suddenly my Windows Commander stopped working. When I tried to run it the screen blanks all except the the wall paper and then comes back after a few seconds. The only way I could run Windows Commander was to use the "Run As.." function with the protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity. However, I can't play music or use Word when I do that. So I tried to uninstall Windows Commander and it wouldn't allow me to do that, the same thing from above would happen. I used regcleaner to uninstall Windows Commander and tried to reinstall it. However, even when I tried to install it the same thing happened...screen would blank and comeback after a few seconds. So I stopped using Windows Commander. I also noticed that REGEDIT did the EXACT same thing.

A few weeks later my AVG would not allow me to update, I did everything the AVG help said to do and nothing worked. It tells me that access to the server is forbidden. I ended up doing an update through the directory option. That worked but it still wont update on its own.

Yesterday after years of having no problems, my Winamp program will not connect to the CDDB...I upgraded to the latest version 5.552 and still nothing.

I am really confused about this one as Windows media player tells me what's playing no problem as does Nero...

I have taken down my Windows firewall...numerous times and allowed a Winamp exception.

It's almost as if something is blocking these programs from connecting to the internet but I have no idea how to check if these programs are being blocked. Say nothing of the weirdness with Flash FXP, Regedit and Windows Commander.

My AVG tells me that I'm not infected and Spybot tells me I'm fine too...but I don't know how to check anything else.

I'm now worried that other programs will start acting up and not working properly because of these problems.

Any explanations and help on this would be greatly greatly appreciated...

Thanks In Advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

Have you considered a clean install?

Louis

#3 VIS1970

VIS1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

hamluis,

I have considered it. However, I did want to see what was wrong before I did. I just wanted to see what would cause my Windows Commander and Winamp to go all funny.

I'm not at that point yet...but I may end up having to do it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Malware can screw up your system...and leave no tracks that anyone can follow.

Based on your comment, I suggested a clean install. Many persons are under the false impression...that removing malware removes the effects which have been thrust upon the system.

My impression is that such malware file removals...often leave behind various undocumented, difficult-to-counteract effects.

A clean install overcomes such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users