Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb mass storage cannot be stopped

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sherwincruz

sherwincruz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:16 AM

hi i am using an external hard disk drive for my backup files that is connected via usb, every time i try to disconnect the device a window pops out saying....

"Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device...The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later."

here is the story, the external hard disk drive that i am using came from a downed laptop, i extracted the hdd and bought a casing for it so i can use as backup for my files. i just deleted everything from it and formatted the hdd. everytime i disconnect it a window pops out just like above. i ran a combofix scan and on the log file under "other deletions" it says..."c:\windows\system32\AutoRun.inf". i tried to disconnect the usb mass storage device again and still the above warning is showing....

i need help on this, what should i do? i have the entire combofix log file if you need it.

i hope you guys can help me with this one tnx in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. That's the decision by the creator and we will abide by that decision.

Further, ComboFix logs are not permitted outside the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum and then only when requested by a HJT Team member.

The error you describe is usually the result of an application, file, open document which is in use (running from the USB flash drive) when you try to remove it by clicking on the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the notification area. The error can also be caused if your anti-virus is actively monitoring/scanning the USB drive. Normally, when removing a fash drive from a USB port, Windows should stop all the read-write operations on the drive so that it can be safely removed. If not, the flash drive can be damaged or data may be lost/corrupted. However, if Windows determines a file is in use, then it may provide a message which indicates the volume cannot be stopped right now.Third party utilities that allow you to quickly remove USB devices in Windows 2000/XP/Vista.Most USB Disks are Optimized for quick removal. If enabled, this setting disables write caching on the disk and in Windows so the device can be safely disconnected without using "Eject" or the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the notification area. The alternative setting is to Optimize for Performance which enables write caching in Windows to improve disk performance but requires use of the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. To check your policy settings, see Do you really need to eject the USB Hardware?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 sherwincruz

sherwincruz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:26 AM

sorry for that :thumbsup:

tnx for the advice i'll go and check these out...tnx again

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

QuietMan, I clicked the link you posted, the one that starts off with "How to fix" and when I closed that window, umpteen other windows opened and I could not close them out, they just kept opening. I have no idea how many there really were, but I would guess about 20 opened before I could get to my firewall to block all internet activity and then use taskmanager to kill IE. That was the only way I could get rid of them.

Just thought you might want to know that there is something not right about the site that link is for.

Edited by Stang777, 02 May 2009 - 06:37 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,938 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

Both Dr.Webb Check URL Scan and LinkScanner say the site is clean.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for checking it out on those sites, maybe it was just a momentary glitch on their site. It did not do anything bad to my computer, so maybe that is why it is listed as clean, but the opening of all those windows is not right and I do not want to visit that site again, momentary glitch or not, lol.

Just to be safe, I have already ran Malwarebytes since closing it out and it found nothing and I will be running SuperAntiSpyware before restarting my computer. Even though I am pretty sure SuperAntiSpyware won't find anything either, I want to make sure.

Like I said before, I just thought you might want to know about that site doing that to someone.

Edited by Stang777, 02 May 2009 - 07:10 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,938 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:25 AM

Here is an alternate link with the same info
http://praveenkumarg.blogspot.com/2008/10/...pped-right.html