Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I fix a Hijacked Hotmail account?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hvm

hvm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

An email was sent from my hotmail account with the following message:

I would like to introduce you a very good company and its website is ele-eachnet.com It can offer you all kinds of electronic products that you may be in need,such as laptops ,gps ,TV LCD,cell phones,ps3,MP3/4,motorcycles and etc........
You can take some time to have a check ,there must be something interesting you 'd like to purchase .
The contact email: eleceachnet@188.com MSN: eleceachnet@hotmail.com
TEL: 0086+137 1783 2610
Hope you can enjoy yourself in shopping from that company !

Regards

I know other people have had this before; is there anything that I can do to save my account?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trivium111

trivium111

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:36 AM

are they just spamming your inbox or do they actually have your password? because if they are spamming your inbox NEVER reply to them as when you email them back or click on a link that goes to their webpage it probably tells the spammers that your email is active and they will spam you some more :\

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

Its not account hijacking, its just spam. People all over over the world suffer from it. Click "delete" or "report spam".

#4 hvm

hvm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

I don't think I explained clearly - it's not that this email was sent TO me, it was sent to all my contacts in my address book from my hotmail address - but not sent by me.

Is there something I can do about it?

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

What to do if your Windows Live account has been stolen.

:thumbsup:

#6 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

Have you ran any antivirus/anti malware scans lately? Have any symptoms of infection?

I would advise you to post in Am I Infected? What Do I Do? just to be on the safe side. If an infection isn't found, I suggest having your contacts run some scans as well. There are plenty of MSN viruses/worms that do this kind of thing.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

hvm, do you have any indication that your account was stolen? For example, is it not recognizing your password, or do you find odd emails in your sent folder? If you don't show any signs of having been hacked, chances are you weren't. Changing of passwords is a good idea, no matter the cause, because malware writers do try to get passwords, but not just for MSN or hotmail accounts. Really, who needs to hack into a hotmail account anyway to send commercial spam? Most importantly, why when you can create any number of new hotmail accounts that will do the trick for you. I'm not trying to play down the identity theft factor, but merely using common sense and the 'facts' available. Jumping to conclusions does no one any good.

The best thing to do if you think your account has been hacked into, is yes, change the password after making sure you are free of malware. But I fail to see indication that this is what happened here. For one thing, when accounts are hacked into, usually the password gets changed... I mean if someone wanted to steal your account, wouldn't they know that you'd try to take it back? Just a thought.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 littlebitshier

littlebitshier

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

I just fixed this problem on my husband's computer and it is now gone so yes, you can fix a hijacked Hotmail account.
What has happened is that this company has rewritten your vacation mail reply and your mail auto signature to be thier advertizment.
Here is how you get rid of it.

Please remove your vacation reply. Here’s how to remove it:

1. Click the "Options" button in your account and then select "More options...."
2. Click the "Send automated vacation replies" link under "Manage your account."
3. Click the "Don't send any vacation replies" radio button.
4. Click the "Save" button.

It is possible that there is a personal e-mail signature configured in your account. Here’s how to remove it:

1. In the upper-right corner of the Windows Live Hotmail home page, click “Options.”
2. Choose “More options…” on the dropdown menu.
3. Under “Customize your mail” option, click the “Personal e-mail signature” link.
4. Highlight the texts in the box using your mouse.
5. Press the “Delete” key on your keyboard.
6. Click the “Save” button.

To prevent this from happening again, immediately change your password.

I also suggest that you report this to the abuse team by sending an e-mail to their abuse@hotmail.com address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users