Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why cant I remove internet explorer from my computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

It is the only program in the add remove programs list that I do not have the option to remove. How remove this? Someone on this site suggested running opera and firefox. I am now running IE 7 and firefox. I use favorites a lot and click on a lot of links that IE doesnt allow for some reason. I also watch the stock market closely so I am looking for a browser that would work well with alot of refreshing. Thank you in advance for your help. Greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:16 PM

IE is integrated with Windows, you cannot remove it. It is needed for various functions of Windows itself.

Opera is a very safe browser. Actually, there are fewer exploits found in Opera compared to even Firefox. You can use Opera or Firefox, both are great browsers. One advantage of using Firefox is that you can download addons of many types.

#3 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:44 AM

Good news: in windows7 it is possible to remove IE :thumbsup:

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:07 AM

You can uninstall IE7 (in add/remove programs put a checkmark in show updates (right top corner). Now you will find IE7 in the list. However, now your IE will be back to 6. You can hide/deactivate your IE 6 by clicking in add/remove programs the add/remove windows components button. Just uncheck IE6 in this list, click next/ok/finish whatever and it will not show in your startmenu etc anymore.

However, I recommend keeping one version or the other of IE6 (personally have IE8, is fastest), because microsoft update needs it.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

You can uninstall IE7 (in add/remove programs put a checkmark in show updates (right top corner). Now you will find IE7 in the list. However, now your IE will be back to 6. You can hide/deactivate your IE 6 by clicking in add/remove programs the add/remove windows components button. Just uncheck IE6 in this list, click next/ok/finish whatever and it will not show in your startmenu etc anymore.

Windows Vista comes with IE7 pre-installed, you cannot remove IE7 in it. It is assumed that you are talking about XP or earlier versions.

chugg didnt say which version of Windows he/she is running.

Good news: in windows7 it is possible to remove IE smile.gif

Not completely.

What is possible is actually removing IE binary iexplore.exe and related files. But then that is possible in Windows XP, Vista, and 7. Look at the picture attached which I took from XP. Same is possible in Vista and 7.

But not all of IE is removed, as it is needed for various functions of Windows. Only IE browser executable would be removed.

Posted Image

You can get to this dialog from Add/Remove Programs - > Add Remove Windows Components.

Edited by Romeo29, 29 April 2009 - 08:58 AM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

Sorry, my post goes only for XP.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

Interesting, so its plain bullcrap that "we can finally remove IE" as Microsoft announced?

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#8 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

Interesting, so its plain bullcrap that "we can finally remove IE" as Microsoft announced?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users