Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive sometimes is not recognized

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cocuixtle

cocuixtle

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Hello, I have windows home XP SP3. Sometimes the DVD is not recognized, regardless of the program I am using. Even if I use windows explorer, there is not D unit. I have not found a pattern to which situations cause this problem. Many times restarting the laptop helps to recognize the drive again. I have updated the firmware to latest from Dell (DE04). I have cleaned the lens. The driver is the newest version according to Dell and Windows Update. Any help would be great.
Regards,
Cocuixtle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

It may be a loose connection. Eject the whole drive from its slot, blow out the slot with compressed air and make sure the connections are not covered in dust. Then put it back in.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cocuixtle

cocuixtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

How can I remove an internal drive inside a laptop?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

The Dell laptop that I'm using at the moment has a removable DVD drive. There is a small rectangular panel on the bottom right hand side on the drive (looking from the side). If I press it it pops open to a kind of handle that I can pull to remove the drive. Most laptops that I've seen have a similar arrangement.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 cocuixtle

cocuixtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for your reply. I found this youtube tutorial how to remove it.:
I need to remove one screw but is quite easy. I have removed Ashampoo burner beacuse makes me suspect that interferes with the other programs, because it happened before with another dell. I will wait a week and will let you know if there is an improvement.

#6 cocuixtle

cocuixtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

I removed ashampoo and there was some improvement, but the dvd hanged on again. I am not sure if it is only one problem or several related to this dvd, but I also have another problem with the dvd: some cd's that are played in any other device that I have at home, cannot be played on my laptop dvd. they are original and may have a small scratch, but they play on my boombox, my car, etc. ; but not on my laptop. most of the cd's play on my laptop, but some don't. I removed the dvd drive, used compressed air, there was little dust. I plugged it on again. boot the laptop, inserted the cd and still cannot be played. do you think it may a problem with drivers or firmware? I googled and I read that the dell software is not the best for this DVD drive.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 05:26 PM

Some things you can try:
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 cocuixtle

cocuixtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:48 AM

I did all the steps the you suggested, after that, I played with windows media player the cd that did not played on my laptop and the problem still goes on. I do not know if the problem recognition will happen again, but the lack of ability to play cd's less than perfect, still happens. Should I start another thread with this problem? although, I am starting to suspect that either I do not have the best firmware or the DVD writer needs to be replaced. What are your thoughts?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

What happens if you use another media player, such as VLC.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 cocuixtle

cocuixtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

Same thing, with the audio cd that plays everywhere but on my laptop, with the vlc player it also freezes

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:34 PM

Let's repeat some steps to make sure we have covered all the bases

Run the fix it again from Budapest's link for filter drivers

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben...p;x=12&y=13

Reboot

Go into device manager and uninstall the drive

Reboot

Test a bootable cd if you have them

Laptop drives don't last very long under heavy use
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#12 cocuixtle

cocuixtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hello Chewy, before I follow you recommendation, I want to tell you something: the DVD is recognized and I have not had any problem for several days, at least, I can tell that the frequency of the problem has been reduced, with more time I can tell if it has been eliminated. I cannot tell at what point through this repairing process the problem diminished or was solved. I have the problem that some optical media is not recognized while is being played in any other gadget around my house. Should I change the tittle of my post?

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

I did quite a bit more googling on your dell and drive this morning, many people had your problem a lot sooner than you, all our fixes were applied to no avail.

The drives had many issues, dell software(filter drivers) was the problem in a few cases, but mostly the drives just wore out prematurely, new ones can be had for as little as 60$, but finding the right compatible one might be an issue.

I normally caution people to only use their slimdrives for essential stuff and use an external portable one for everyday use.

What if you try to boot to a CD to reload your computer or fix a problem and it fails?

In the dvd burning community the consensus is laptops have substandard optical drives to start out with, work poorly and break quickly.
Chewy

#14 cocuixtle

cocuixtle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

I agree completely with you. I just wanted to make sure that there was something else to do. I think the DVD is working better and I will use it as few as possible. So, for me I am very satisfied with all the help that I have received from all of you. I do not know the etiquette for closing a topic. Are you the one the closes it?

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

These type of topics are left open

Good luck
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users