Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd drive not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

Hi all

I have an Alienware Area 51 m5550 laptop. About a year ago my dvd drive just stopped reading disks, No errors or conflicts but just not reading.

When it died I dived on ebay and bought a similar (but not from the same model) alienware dvd drive (second hand) which has now also stopped reading disks.

Dont dvd drives generally have quite a good lifespan? Could something other than just knackard drives be causing this?
It just seems so odd that the drive has died in exactly the same way as the old one, No funny noises, No taking ages to read disks Just totally stopped.

The green light comes on and it wirr's a bit but if I go to my computer and double click D: it just comes up as a blank disk :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

Can you boot from this DVD drive? Insert WinXP or any Linux Live cd and try booting from CD.
If you can boot, it would mean drive is ok but problem is in Windows.

#3 GAZMAN195

GAZMAN195
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

Hello

No I cannot boot from the drive. The reason I noticed that the drive had stopped working is that I have bought a new larger hardrive and I was trying to install xp on it.

I put my old harddrive back in and tryed running several disks but they all come up as blank.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

You should check the data and power cable connections to your DVD drive. They may have been tempered while you installed new hard disk.

Do you hear spinning sound? If yes try cleaning the lens of the DVD drive using lens cleaner CD.

If you have extra data cable try replacing it.

If you cannot boot from the DVD drive, then problem is in the DVD drive. For some reason, it is not able to read any disks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users