Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Failure?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bcunniff9

Bcunniff9

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them. I have a Sony Vaio VGN FS640, and I was sitting at the computer doing stuff... and the whole computer shut off. I then tried to restart it to no avail. I was thinking its the motherboard. It just so happens my warranty just ran out, so I dont want to send it to the CheapSquad. Any comments would be great. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Since this is a laptop. I would check the battery and power supply brick before assuming its the motherboard.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Bcunniff9

Bcunniff9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Whats a good way to check the battery?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

First check the lights on the laptop and see if it recognizes the power cord being plugged in. Then check the status LED to see if its saying that its charging the battery. Lastly I would check them with a Multimeter.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 Bcunniff9

Bcunniff9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

No lights at all, only on the power brick. How would I go about using the multimeter

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Take the Multimeter and it to 24VDC touch the black probe to the outside of the jack that plugs into the laptop and the red probe to the inside of the plug. ( NOTE: NOT THE PLUG THAT GOES INTO THE WALL OUTLET TESTING THIS COULD CAUSE SERIOUS SHOCK) Observe the reading on the Meter and check it against the rated output of the brick (it should be listed on it). Next test the battery to see if it has any charge on it. I am not sure where on the battery to test it should have metal tabs on it one will be marked - one will be marked +. The red probe goes to the + the black probe goes to the -.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Bcunniff9

Bcunniff9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

Yeh I have no idea how to work this meter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users