Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP's gone retro on me

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chelsea13

chelsea13

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

Hi guys-

It seems that yesterday, for reasons unknown (to probably everyone but my eighteen year old who's not confessing), my Windows XP computer has reverted back to when we first purchased it years ago. Now, there are additional shortcuts on the desktop such as AOL, Microsoft Office 60 day trial, Game Central, and basically a bunch of stuff like that. My AVG is now inoperaple because of a missing file and all of my iTunes library has disappeared. I thought I could just do a system restore but I can't because all of the previous restore dates have disappeared. The hijack this that I've previously used doesn't work either. What can I do?

Thanks so much for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

IMHO it sounds like some one/some thing has tried a reinstall or has went back to a very old restore date.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:14 AM

Sounds like there was a system restore done to the system. Not the Windows System Restore but the System Restore feature that is done by using the files kept in a seperate (usually hidden) partition of the hard drive. Those are put on by the maker of the computer and it is there to allow the computer to be reset to the way it was when it left the factory. That is usually accessed when booting the computer by using some combination of keys, like maybe, ctrl + F11.

#4 chelsea13

chelsea13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

So do I have any options to fix this mess?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

If you have system backups...you can use those.

If you are missing data files, you could try using data recovery software to view/restore those.

System manufacturer and model?

Have you reviewed the documentation for using the recovery/repair functions on that system? Should be in owner's manual or at manufacturer's website.

Louis

#6 chelsea13

chelsea13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:13 AM

It's just a HP Pavillion with the Intel processor and Windows XP home version -- nothing exciting. Can you recommend a good data recovery software?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:11 PM

I have a positive opinion of GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

There are other paid recovery programs which do the job.

I don't fool around with free data-recovery programs, I don't mind paying for a product of that type that really does the job to satisfaction.

Others here have positive experiences with free programs, wait for their inputs.

Louis

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

So do I have any options to fix this mess?

Beat him like a "Red Headed" step child!!! :thumbsup:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 chelsea13

chelsea13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

Ok, so I read all about the system recovery and I did the system recovery -- you know the F10 thing. That seems to have caused more headaches. I probably know this answer already but...is there anything I can do to undo the system recovery?

Thanks for all the help.

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

Sorry, but I do not believe there is a way to undo that.

Edited by Stang777, 29 April 2009 - 10:24 PM.

#11 chelsea13

chelsea13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:11 AM

One last ditch question..

The main problem now appears that I can't install anything because the windows installer is unable. How can I remedy this? I thought (yes I know...that's what gets me in trouble) that I could update the system pack and that would help, but I'm not able to do that either. So, basically, I'm unable to download current versions of applications such as iTunes and AVG. Any suggestions?

Edited by chelsea13, 30 April 2009 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users