Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to use the internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hoff77

Hoff77

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

PLease help! I had installed AntiVir Personal and ran it. It cleaned some things up and ever since then I have not been able to use the internet. I am able to dial up to my ISP and when I open IE it just says unable to display page. I can't go to any websites at all. I think the AntiVir deleted some files that I needed. I even reinstalled my Windows 2000 and also IE 6.0, but it still isn't working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

Not sure this will work or not but it won't hurt to try.

LSP-Fix

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Hoff77

Hoff77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:31 PM

Unfortunately, that didn't work

This is the error I see in IE:
windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

ANy ideas???

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 06:40 AM

Make sure your firewall is not blocking your browser.

Look in Device Manager and see if your modem or network card is installed properly.

When you say you reinstalled 2000, did you format first or just install over the top?

Go to Start>Run> and type in cmd. Type in ping www.google.com and press enter. If you get a reply, you will know you are connected to the internet and the problem is browser related.

Does AntiVir have a quarantine or vault? See if you can find a log file from the scan. Whatever files were deleted can be extracted from your 2000 CD and replaced. You will need to then go to Windows Update.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Hoff77

Hoff77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

When I reinstalled Windows2000 I just installed over top.
I downloaded the shdoclc.dll file and tried to replace the one in my windows\system32 folder but it won't let be because it says its in use by windows. So I tried to unregister it but it won't let me do that either. I tried to ping www.google.com but all it does is says HIMEM.SYS. So I don't think its connecting to the internet correctly. I can dial up to my ISP and it says I am connected at 49 kbps like normal. I can't check my email with Outlook either, it doesn't find the server. Any thoughts??

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:52 AM

Look in Device Manager and see if your modem or network card is installed properly.

You may need to reinstall the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users