Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux and Winmodems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

I would like to install one of the major Linux distributions on my 10-year-old PC, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question:

DOES LINUX WORK WITH WINMODEMS??

I don't exactly know what model of modem I have (it is an internal one), but I know that it was made by 3COM approx. 10 years ago. The modem works fine with Windows XP, but will it work with Linux?

The plan is to create a dual-boot PC (Windows XP/Linux), but I see little reason to do it if it turns out that Linux does not recognize winmodems... (I can't be the only one that is still on dial-up and wants to try out Linux, right?)

Thanks.
--
tb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

How about that---the first site I went to had this to say:

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basicdialup.shtml
Before you start, please note that some modem manufacturers rely on Windows to operate their modem hardware (aka WinModems), and therefore your internal modem may not work. If you experience trouble then hopefully this page and this web site may help resolve the issue for you. Those with non-Winmodems and external Hayes compatible modems don't need to worry about this at all.

This might interest you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Fax-Modem-56K-Exte...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Buy It Now price: US $5.24

Edited by buddy215, 28 April 2009 - 05:23 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

If this is a 10 year old PC it will have a serial port. Almost any serial port Hardware modem will work under Linux.

Unless I missed something, the USB modem suggested on ebay doesn't say anything about being compat w/Linux. Most USB modems ARE WINMODEMS!

Yes some winmodems CAN work under Linux but if you are new to Linux I would not recommend it. I have installed and setup serial port, internal PCI and USB modems. Go with serial port.
Unfortunately some people have discovered that the actiontec 56k serial port modem is compat w/ Linux and are now selling them for what used to be $4.99 on ebay is now $40 to $75!

You've been warned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users