Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows ME, Invalid System Disk Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elomont

elomont

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:31 PM

Hey Guys (and Girls),

Any advice or preliminary steps to correct this problem:

Windows ME machine. Downloaded EasyCleaner by ToniArts and ran the "Duplicates" program, which just searches your computer for duplicate files and deletes them. I must have deleted something I wasn't supposed to because now when I boot up I get an "Invalid System Disk, replace the disk, and then press any key" Error. I don't believe it's a virus because all was fine before I ran that program.

I do not have a Windows ME original disk. I have made a bootable floppy for Windows ME and am able to get to a command prompt that way. I have also downloaded a Windows ME bootable cd, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elomont

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

Windows ME machine. Downloaded EasyCleaner by ToniArts and ran the "Duplicates" program, which just searches your computer for duplicate files and deletes them. I must have deleted something I wasn't supposed to because now when I boot up I get an "Invalid System Disk, replace the disk, and then press any key" Error.

"EasyCleaner by ToniArts" bad move.

Well a normal "Invalid System Disk error" means you have a none bootable floppy inserted or it can't find the main system startup files on your C: drive. If you have a good boot disk then you can copy these files back to C: drive using Sys C: and enter.

Now WinME is a pain in the backside because its basically a DOS Win9x system but you can't access DOS from the Safe Mode menu. Start your computer up with the boot disk inserted. If you have Scandisk on the floppy do a full scan of your main drive Scandisk C: to check for any errors. If not then type in C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk and do a full scan to check you hard drive out. Depending on how big your drive is it could take a while. I have a 20GB HD and it takes 40 minutes to check my drive.

I do not have a Windows ME original disk. I have made a bootable floppy for Windows ME and am able to get to a command prompt that way.

Well if you want to carry on using WinME I suggest you get a WinME CD, the easiest and cheapest place is eBay. I bought my genuine CD for 15 last year. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the help Keithuk,

IMHO, I know it was the user of the program (Myself), not the program itself. Lesson learned.

Moving on. I do not have a floppy inserted. I think that it is the second thing you bring up...."can't find the main system startup files on your C: drive". So I tried sys c: using a Windows ME bootable disk I downloaded from bootdisk.com. I get to the point in DOS where it offers me an A: OR C: prompt, but after entering sys C: I get the same message of "Cannot find the system file in the standard locations on drive C:......" Am I using that correctly?

I can use scandisk at the C: prompt and am running it as I write this. I can only get this using the bootable floppy. I ran it the other day, but did not let it run all the way through on the surface scan. I will try that again and repost again with the results in a bit. I don't think that it going to make a difference, but I have been known to be wrong.

That is my last step, to buy a genuine Windows ME CD. If I need to go that route, I will be back to post again on the procedure for using that to correct the problem.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

I think that it is the second thing you bring up...."can't find the main system startup files on your C: drive". So I tried sys c: using a Windows ME bootable disk I downloaded from bootdisk.com. I get to the point in DOS where it offers me an A: OR C: prompt, but after entering sys C: I get the same message of "Cannot find the system file in the standard locations on drive C:......" Am I using that correctly?

Well after you have booted up from the floppy you will be left with the A:\ prompt because your reading from A: drive. You say you've tried Sys C: but you get the message "Cannot find the system file in the standard locations on drive C:......" Well your not telling it to find the system files the Sys.com will put the system files back on your hard drive. It must have the system files on the bootable floppy else it won't boot up. If you downloaded a bootable floppy from bootdisk and made the bootable floppy Sys.com is on of the 11 files inside the EDB.cab, Scandisk is also in there so I'm not sure how you did a scandisk of the floppy booting up. I'm not sure how these files get extracted. I have my own boot disk which I've had for years and it has all the useful files on the disk which the updated Fdisk.exe.

You can copy these file manually but you would have to change the attributes because they are Hidden, System and Read Only. Attribe.exe is in the EDB.cab as well which allows you to change the attributes. The system files that are missing are Io.sys, Msdos.sys and Command.com. Reading the Autoexec.bat on my WinME boot disk it extracts the files in EDB.cab to a Ram drive (temp drive). :thumbsup:

%RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NUL

Keith

#5 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

OK, scandisk found nothing on this run and has finished. Keithuk, I was writing this next post as I received your last reply, so I'll respond to whatever you wrote after I get done here, in another post.

I have noticed a few things that I think are odd, but you guys may find completely normal. I have about 15-20 spare hard drives laying around and I have swapped out a working ME drive to no avail. However, I have swapped out W98 and W2000 drives and they both boot up in this machine. I just find it weird that only the 2 ME drives don't work. Anyway, just a FYI, if it matters at all. I know you're thinking why not just use one of those other hard drives and be done with it. Well, I wouldn't get the satisfaction of fixing this one then! Or, having you guys help me fix it.

I have a question. My main concern in fixing this drive is to not lose any info that may be on it. Can I go into CMOS and reset my "SETUP DEFAULTS" without losing any info? And, will that help me at all in what I'm trying to fix? Also, while I'm referring to CMOS, under STANDARD CMOS SETUP the Primary Master drive IS being detected. When I first entered CMOS and checked the settings under TYPE and MODE they were set to User and LBA respectively. Are these the normal settings? I have the choices of User, Auto and None under TYPE and LBA, NORMAL, AUTO and LARGE under MODE. When it is set to User and LBA the computer goes through the boot process, detects the cdrom drive and the floppy drive, but does not list detecting the hard drive. However, when I change the choices to Auto under both TYPE and MODE, the hard drive IS detected before the cdrom and floppy. After the three are detected I still end up with the "Invalid system disk" error.

Also, if this matters, my HDD S.M.A.R.T. capability is Enabled and my boot sequence is set up as C, CDROM, A. I do change this when I use the floppy made from www.bootdisk.com.

#6 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

Replying to you Keithuk,

I understand what you are saying that the Sys.com files need to be on the floppy and I also thank you for teaching me something new. After I chose 3. Start computer without CDROM support and got the A: prompt I just typed in scandisk and it ran.

I took that floppy and inserted in another machine so that I could see what was on it in the way of files. It has 28 files on it, along with the SYS file within an EBD folder. I do not see an EDB.cab folder unless that was just a typo. I've also found the ATTRIB app within the EBD folder, but I'm going to need some assistance changing those attributes to whatever they need to be changed to.

I'm sure you already know this, but we are going to need to do all this through DOS since I cannot get to the GUI.

Edited by elomont, 29 April 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:20 AM

I took that floppy and inserted in another machine so that I could see what was on it in the way of files. It has 28 files on it, along with the SYS file within an EBD folder. I do not see an EDB.cab folder unless that was just a typo. I've also found the ATTRIB app within the EBD folder, but I'm going to need some assistance changing those attributes to whatever they need to be changed to.

Well I'm only going by what is on my WinME boot disk from bootdisk. There is an EDB.cad file on there when you open it with WinZIP it has 11 files inside. the main ones are Attribe.exe, Scandisk.exe, Sys.com and Format.com. I was just wondering how these got extracted from the cab file but a line in the Autoexec.bat explains this. On my boot disk all these files are on the disk so I don't have to extract any of them.

What I can't understand with your problem is why is says "Cannot find the system file in the standard locations on drive C:......" when it desn't need to find anything. :thumbsup:

Keith

#8 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

I wish I could say I know why. I'll let you ponder for a bit.

Anyone else reading this have any ideas?

Edited by elomont, 30 April 2009 - 03:16 PM.

#9 elomont

elomont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

Keithuk,

I did a little searching and I found out that out of the three files that you said were missing, only one was. It was the io.sys file. I have since copied it to my C: via the bootable floppy.

I typed in attrib msdos.sys along with attrib io.sys and they both show up. When I type command.com at the C: prompt It reads Micosoft Windows Millennium which I'm assuming means it's functional. I could be wrong though.

Also, I have since rebooted and now receive a "Disk Boot Failure" error instead of the "Invalid System Disk" error. I also cannot use SYS C: yet either. I still receive the error message that reads "Cannot find the system file in the standard........."

Just for the hell of it and if this matters at all, I typed in dir at the A: prompt and it listed everything that is on the floppy, of course. Then I did the same at the C: prompt (after removing the floopy) and it also lists everything on that drive which means that the drive isn't completely dead, correct? Maybe this will also help you understand what I'm dealing with a little better.

Does anything seem a bit clearer now?

Thanks for your patience.

Update:

I have been able to get SYS C: to work. I type that in at the A: prompt and it reads system transferred. I then reboot (without the floppy inserted), but still receive the Boot Disk Failure message.

Edited by elomont, 01 May 2009 - 03:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users