Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 herwan360

herwan360

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

I have Vista (HP-Pavilion m7757c. Last couple months when starting computer I can get as far as signing on and Welcom and then instead of a start up I get a black screen with a white pointer which lasts 2/3 minutes before starting up. First the bottom task bar comes on and then the rest of the computer screen lights up.
I have gone through start up items and deleted some that I thought not necessary to rn at start up and I uninstalled Roxio as someone on the net said that that was their problem but it did not fix. I then read where someone had uninstalled their Office 2007 and it was the problem. I had just recently downloaded the Office 2007 so that my granddaughter could do a power point presentation for one of her school classes and when the free time was over I disconnected it. I yesterday re-installed it hoping that would cure my problem. But No. Can I do a Vista repair without losing all of my info.?
Flowers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

Sounds like the MBR is damaged. Look at Resolution 2

Fix mbr- black screen
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503
Same for Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946532
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users