Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant crashes during heavy video card usage. ++ other prob

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Clazsic

Clazsic

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

1. i don't know if im affected but when i play a 2d game, my comp will go black in about 1 hour or so, whereby my computer will be extremely slowed or the better way to solve it is to force restart my computer. sometimes i caught a (!) sign on my desktop beside my clock whereby it says fx driver successfully recovered from crash.. i am not sure if it is fx or sth else..
2. my MSN messenger just doesn't work, it might be my proxy problems (cause i have no problems in other internet location)(i am at a student accommodated apartment using a wired broadband, modem d-link) , but when my internet get reconnected after subsequent disconnection, my MSN messenger might just be signed in (10% of the case).

EDIT: Removed unaythorized DDS log

Edited by garmanma, 30 April 2009 - 01:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

1. i don't know if im affected but when i play a 2d game, my comp will go black in about 1 hour or so, whereby my computer will be extremely slowed or the better way to solve it is to force restart my computer. sometimes i caught a (!) sign on my desktop beside my clock whereby it says fx driver successfully recovered from crash.. i am not sure if it is fx or sth else..

Well right off the bat, your first problem sounds like a classic case of overheating. When the system (CPU/video card) get too hot, they donít function properly and will cause problems like crashing. Your system is probably also slowing down because it is configured to throttle the CPU usage when it gets too hot to prevent it from burning out. The exclamation sign can be a few things. Is it in a bubble? Is the bubble this one?: Posted Image
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#3 Clazsic

Clazsic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

what i see there is familiar but im not sure.. its more like 'igfx driver has stopped responding and has sucessfully recovered'. yes but this happens when i alter the system's virtual memory. it used to be system managed but it causes so much crash that i tried altering myself. C: custom size min 1000, max 6000. D: min 1000, max 3500. my ram is only 2,50GB thou..im not sure what im doing is right or wrong. any guidance will be greatly appreciated. thanks before! and here is a thing perhaps..i rarely shut down my computer, usually tend to restart it and that's it, and moreover it's winter now and it still gets overheated, which is weird in my dictionary of knowledge, please dont hesitate to correct me if i m wrong.

Edited by Clazsic, 28 April 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#4 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

I wish that I could say that it would be weird for a computer to overheat in the winter, but sadly itís not. My system overheats even in the winter, even though I donít have any heating in my room.

What you should do is to get a program that can monitor your computerís temperatures so that you can see exactly how your system is feeling. I recommend FanSpeed; itís a great tool that is constantly improved.

As for the virtual memory, that bubble does indeed have to do with fiddling with the settings. However if youíve got 2.5GB of RAM, and youíve set your swapfiles to be 1-6GB on C, let alone 1-3.5GB on D, then you should not be having that problem. Do C: and D: have enough space? You could have problems if it tries to increase the swapfile but runs out of disk space (you would be amazed what kinds of problems from errors to full-on BSODs can occur from simply being out of disk space, and worse, the errors do not even indicate that as the problem!)

You will also want to take a look at what is running on your system. If you have 2.5GB or RAM and a 6GB swapfile, then you should not be running out of memory. Try Sysinternalsí Autoruns to take a look at what is automatically loaded on your system. Many people tend to have a lot of unnecessary stuff running automatically running in the background that can mess up their systems, and it sounds like you may be in that boat.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#5 Clazsic

Clazsic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

i'll definitely work on that and get back to u on any positives/negatives. but here's a glance.
i have a 6.16G free of 33.5G in drive C. i have minimal programs installed, but the memories i have are just barely those 6.16..i don't get it, and when i look through, my windows folder consumed the most space at 23.7G, is this even normal? i was forced to get rid of the excess music files etc to drive D, with space left of 3.80G out of 33.2G. I did defragment my drives often too, with program like tuneup utilities 2009 or even manually. also used CCleaner to clean up unnecessary files.

#6 Clazsic

Clazsic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

whats an acceptable temperature? as at now, fan speed is showing that, HD0: 38-40 deg, temp1 53-55 def, core 0 62-68 deg, core 1 68-70 deg... while the autorun file shows me alot but i am not even sure either what is unnecessary..there were too many things.. anw i just found and i am quite definite that it was my igfx that stopped responding and at times successfully recovered.. did some research and found that "igfxtray.exe is a process which allows you to access the Intel Graphics configuration and diagnostic application for the Intel 810 series graphics chipset. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for ease of use via the desktop tray." and it is one of the software running, i just thought this might come useful. Thanks heaps before, please take your time.
Here, another problem came to my attention, yesterday my kaspersky detected a keylogger behaviour but application was missing and it was not terminated. There were so many reports on it, but it might be from one of my games application, which i am not sure of, as i was playing an online mmorpg game that lead me having those alerts. Apart from that, those alerts stopped when i restarted my computer.

#7 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

my windows folder consumed the most space at 23.7G, is this even normal?

Not generally no. You may have lots of temp files or downloaded Windows updates or something. You should use a drive space visualizer to see what folders are taking up space, it will help you find any old or rogue folders that are a waste. WinDirStat, SequoiaView, and Folder Size for Windows are great free ones.

whats an acceptable temperature? as at now, fan speed is showing that, HD0: 38-40 deg, temp1 53-55 def, core 0 62-68 deg, core 1 68-70 deg

The hard drive looks okay. Do you know what that Temp1 is? Is it your system (eg case) temp or the chipset? If itís the chipset, then itís a kind of high, and if itís the case temp, then itís pretty high. I donít have much experience with multi-core processors, but those temps are fairly high too.

Is your room dusty? Dust has a tendency to build up inside of computers and insulate the parts. Dusting the insides (while the system is off) is an easy fix. Some people use compressed air cans, some people just blow. You will want to have a vacuum handy if possible. :flowers:

Also check if your fans are spinning. If they get stuck (or simply break down), then they will not only not blow the parts properly, but they will actually block some airflow. :thumbsup:

Here, another problem came to my attention, yesterday my kaspersky detected a keylogger behaviour but application was missing and it was not terminated. There were so many reports on it, but it might be from one of my games application, which i am not sure of, as i was playing an online mmorpg game that lead me having those alerts. Apart from that, those alerts stopped when i restarted my computer.

It could very well be your game. It may install a keyboard hook or something to allow fancy key combos and such, and Kaspersky is detecting that. Does the AV keep complaining if you exit the game but not reboot?

-- Synetech

#8 Clazsic

Clazsic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:59 AM

Not generally no. You may have lots of temp files or downloaded Windows updates or something. You should use a drive space visualizer to see what folders are taking up space, it will help you find any old or rogue folders that are a waste

how do u know which folders are a waste of the old updates and could be deleted immediately? I have used WinDirStat and view them but i have no idea what i have to clean up..i see a lot of .log file (text document) in my C: , and to break it up, it's in my windows> tracing > <Files> [7.8G] . whereas windows>winsxs [9.3G] but its all spread evenly with avg of 100MB-200MB per file. and system32 3.5G.

Temp1 is my ACPI, and at heavy usage times, those temperature could go as high as 90deg ++.

on the keylogger issue, i think it still happened after i quit the game although im not too sure. but on the good side, the threats are gone after i restart my computer and play the same game again.

Edited by Clazsic, 01 May 2009 - 05:14 AM.

#9 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

how do u know which folders are a waste of the old updates and could be deleted immediately? I have used WinDirStat and view them but i have no idea what i have to clean up..i see a lot of .log file (text document) in my C: , and to break it up, it's in my windows> tracing > <Files> [7.8G] . whereas windows>winsxs [9.3G] but its all spread evenly with avg of 100MB-200MB per file. and system32 3.5G.

I donít know whatís on your system or how itís set up, so I canít really say exactly whatís deletable, but temp directories and caches are always a good candidate since they are by definition temporary and tend to fill up quite a bit. If you havenít already, clear your browser cache (exactly how depends on which browser you use). There are plenty of programs that can clean out things like the temp files, caches, recycle bins, etc. You can try the Disk Cleanup Wizard that comes with Windows (Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Cleanup). That can help you get rid of most of the common files that waste space.

You didnít mention what OS it is. Are you using XP? Do you use a wireless connection? What is the date of the most recent file in C:\Windows\Tracing?

It looks like your system is set up to trace and provide logs of your wireless connection. Is there a reason you would need logs (eg have you had trouble with your connection)? If not then it would be best to just disable tracing and delete the logs. You can check what tracing is enabled by opening a command prompt (Run->Cmd.exe) and running the command netsh ras show tracing. It will list what networking components are installed, and what their tracing status is. You can disable tracing by using the command netsh ras set tracing * disabled (of course you can re-enable them by using enabled instead of disabled; although you will probably want to enable tracing of only the components that you need to, if any).

WinSxS is where different version of files get stored to ensure compatibility. On my system it is currently 33MB (I had it down to ~9MB but had to put some files back for a program). Generally you just leave that alone. When you install a program, it will put what it needs in there if itís not already present, and should remove them when you uninstall if no other programs need it. I have to admit though that 3.5GB is pretty big. Do you have a lot of programs installed? Do you ever uninstall old ones you donít use anymore?

Temp1 is my ACPI, and at heavy usage times, those temperature could go as high as 90deg ++.

The last I read, the newer CPUs with multiple cores that use those smaller processes should be using less power and running cooler. Again, I donít have a lot of experience with multi-core CPUs so somebody who has one may want to weigh in on this, but in my experience, 90į is quite hot. If I remember correctly, CPUs were rated for up to about ~70į before they start having problems. You may want to consider cleaning out any dust and put the case out in the open if itís in a desk cabinet or something where there is no airflow through it.

on the keylogger issue, i think it still happened after i quit the game although im not too sure. but on the good side, the threats are gone after i restart my computer and play the same game again.

Great. Have you updated your anti-virus definitions since the last time it happened? If so, what probably happened was that the anti-virus update removed that game as a false positive.

-- Synetech

#10 Clazsic

Clazsic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

my temp file is cleaned up often, as i am using CCleaner which is similar to Disk Cleanup. I have decided to disable tracing but that does not change the quantity of my tracing log files, for such NDTSP.log is 4GB in size, KMDDSP.log is 3.8G in size and the rest are not worth mentioning (bout 1MB each file). while WINSXS has 380mb on folders like backup, manifests, x86_microsoft-windows-naturallanguage6_31bf..... (6 folders, only numbers at the end are different). My programs are similar to an average home computer, as i tend to get rid of unused programs. I am on windows Vista, using a home broadband connection, but uses wireless if i have to in public places like university etc.
+and here's a simple problem i just can't seem to figure out. if i have one too many tabs on my firefox, whatever youtube video i am watching will be lagged badly, screen stuck while audio still going, then for a quick 2-3 seconds, it is back to where it should be and i missed that 2-3 seconds of video, especially irritating if u are watching soccer. only a clean restart will solve the problem. but it goes back as soon as i open a couple more tabs. i wonder if it has got to do with my ram or virtual memory.

Oh this is a labtop, i will do my cleanup on the dust as soon as i can, and let u know.

On the keylogger issue, consider it done, it was definitely from my game.

One more thing, my flash player update doesnt seem to affect IE7. as what mozilla could open, IE7 will continue saying that the flash player is out of date. I have tried every single method of installation (full file installation) and doesnt work, and i used opera instead now which works fine as an additional browser instead of IE7. Not an important issue though. Just thought if u have a spare 2 cents on this, otherwise, we'll just leave it at that.

Edited by Clazsic, 03 May 2009 - 12:19 PM.

#11 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

What I usually do with files/folders that I believe are unnecessary but am not 100% sure, is that I move them to another location (for example C:\Hold_Here_For_a_While), and if I do not have any problems related to it for a few days or a week, then I just delete them (or compress them and hold them for a month or two). Especially with log files which are just recreated anyway, and thus not irreplaceable. You can certainly free up some wasted space on your system drive, which will also help reduce the clutter in your usage-visualizer.

How are the crashes? Are they still happening often? Is there enough airflow around the laptop? Try placing it on something that allows it to have space all around it instead of just sitting flat on a table or something. Or try using the laptop in a cold place. If that drops the temps by a few degrees, I would bet that the crashes stop too, in which case you know what the problem is. Perhaps you could use one of those laptop coolers (though itís better to first make sure that itís not something easier to fix like a stuck fan or dust clog).

I canít really help with the IE7-Flash Player problem since I donít have IE7 (I now use Chrome almost exclusively). What you can try however is to first attempt to uninstall Flash from the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet, then install it using a full installer. You can also try getting the latest installer from this page. If that doesnít work, then go to Internet Properties->Settings->View Objects. It will show you what ActiveX components are installed on your system. You can manually remove the Flash plugin from IE from there. Then restart the browser and go to the Adobe site and let it auto-detect-install the plugin. Hopefully that will get it working, otherwise you may have to remove the actual files manually (and possibly reboot).

-- Synetech

#12 Clazsic

Clazsic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

first point taken.

2nd point, yes my labtop just crashed again, happens when i safely removed my hard drives and inserting them in again (ipod), and dang blue screen of death. and then i met my old problem, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library", "Runtime Error!" "Program: C:\Program Files\...exe" "This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." This happened a lot last time on games or basically when the computer usage is slightly heavy in the eyes of an average computer. Moreover, this happened right after i restarted my computer, although it might be the application problem as it is a new application i just installed and planning to remove immediately after i learnt about this.
i have blown the dust off my holes in my labtop..Speaking of temperature, i will try it some time soon and let u know.

While flash player wise, i could not find flash in my activeX components after trying several way of installing it. in the settings> view objects, if thats from temporary internet files, i could only see java runtime environment item. While i can't find flash in my list of add-ons too. But i think i screwed this up, as i remembered trying to uninstall IE from a list of programs but turned out the IE is still there anyway, might have uninstall an important component of IE. What if i want to completely uninstall IE? Is that even possible? cause it is not in the list of installed programs anymore. I have also started using opera instead. Might want to try out chrome too soon enough. =D

#13 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

2nd point, yes my labtop just crashed again, happens when i safely removed my hard drives and inserting them in again (ipod), and dang blue screen of death. and then i met my old problem, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library", "Runtime Error!" "Program: C:\Program Files\...exe" "This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." This happened a lot last time on games or basically when the computer usage is slightly heavy in the eyes of an average computer. Moreover, this happened right after i restarted my computer, although it might be the application problem as it is a new application i just installed and planning to remove immediately after i learnt about this.

There are several things that could cause the Runtime Library error, but an easy one to fix is to (re)install the VC++ Redistributables that are required for the program that is crashing. Check what VC version that the crashing program uses (should be mentioned in the programís website), and install that version from the Microsoft Downloads site.

While flash player wise, i could not find flash in my activeX components after trying several way of installing it. in the settings> view objects, if thats from temporary internet files, i could only see java runtime environment item. While i can't find flash in my list of add-ons too. But i think i screwed this up, as i remembered trying to uninstall IE from a list of programs but turned out the IE is still there anyway, might have uninstall an important component of IE. What if i want to completely uninstall IE? Is that even possible? cause it is not in the list of installed programs anymore. I have also started using opera instead. Might want to try out chrome too soon enough. =D

You can uninstall IE7, or reinstall IE7. You can also repair install your IE installation.

I started using Chromium full time, updating to the latest build up to several times per day.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users