Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Red X in top left corner of display.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hopeful

Hopeful

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

Can anyone on this forum tell me how to download .pdf files from local restaurants. I have a Dell P-4 with SP-2, Norton Antivirus 2003, MS Antispyware, Ad-aware SE, & Spybot.

Three restaurants that I contact on the Web offer menus with .pdf downloads that provide only a Red X in the upper left corner of the window that opens. I already have Adobe Reader 7.0 that was updated two days ago. One of the restaurants offers a free download of Adobe Reader 7.0 but I see no point in doubling up on what I already have.

This is not a critical problem, but it bugs me why I can't have access to these menus. Do you think that MS-Antispyware is blocking these programs? I haven't opened up MS-Anti to adjust the program since I installed it this year.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Hopeful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:31 PM

PDF files must be opened with Adobe Reader (available as freeware), not within your browser unless you have a PDF plugin installed in it.

(in USA)
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html?c=us

#3 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:39 AM

If it is showing up as a red X it may be because a firewall (norton's or the windows one) is not permitting the Adobe Reader to work through it. Either configure the firewall to permit this or you still should be able to right-click on a *.pdf link, download it to your computer, and launch it locally.

#4 Hopeful

Hopeful
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:10 PM

Chartwell & Experienced, Thanks for the quick reply. I tried to copy one .pdf URL to my Adobe Reader 7.0 program, but it didn't take. I'm strictly a novice on the PC and learn by hit or miss. At the moment it's in the miss zone.

I have the MS Antispyware instruction sheet somewhere and when I find it I'll follow these to see if it's blocking these .pdf files.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted if I find the answer.

Hopeful

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:25 PM

Try just clicking the link to the PDF in your browser. If your system is set up properly it will open the PDF in an Adobe window.

Your firewall is probably what's blocking Adobe directly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users