Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Freeze Up?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

Alright so here's the application. We have purchased roughly 200 single-board computers that basically come all in one. See attached photo for more information.

Well basically here's what we have. We purchased all of these from a company called Axiomtek. There were three different models we purchased. The 84700, 84600 and the 84810.

Now the 84700 and 84600 are both running a VIA processor and the 84810 is running an Intel processor.

Here's the problem we have been having. We installed these computers over about 200 miles of the turnpike. The 84700 and 84600 models keep having a problem where what will happen is there are two LED lights on the computer. The power and the hard drive light. What will happen is it will randomly freeze up. The hard drive light will turn solid orange and we will lose all network connectivity. I tried hooking up a monitor to it when i find this error but can not get anything.

My question is, does anybody have any suggestions on what might be causing this? Or maybe some software that i can install on the system itself to possibly figure it out? I tried recreating this issue in our lab and could not get it to happen. It just happens randomly to different computers. I've taken a computer out of the field that had this problem, drove it back to out lab, plugged everything up and i cannot recreate the problem.

What we are doing right now to solve the problem is just rebooting the computer. If you reboot the computer by turning it off then back on it will start back up fine and start working again. Only problem is we have to drive to each location to do this. Some can be as far as 200-300 miles away.

Oh yeah, the computers are running on lunix.

Thanks for any input or help you guys might be able to provide!!

Posted Image
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:02 AM

Sounds like a heat issue.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Determine the manufacture of the HDD and run the Manufactures Diagnostic test. You can find the programs on the Manufactures web site. There is a list of the websites found here
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

Sounds like a heat issue.

That's what i thought too. The only thing is though, i built a heat chamber in our lab that will get up to about 145 and i have tested many units in there and still have not been able to recreate the problem. The computers get so hot i can't even pick them up for about 5 minutes.

Determine the manufacture of the HDD and run the Manufactures Diagnostic test. You can find the programs on the Manufactures web site. There is a list of the websites found here

Do you think that will actually tell me the problem though? Because i'm still wondering if it might be a hardware issue or maybe software that might be causing it? My best guess would be hardware first just because only that certain model freezes. What will the test show me? Thanks for the input guys!

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

"We installed these computers over about 200 miles of the turnpike."

Way too little info to give a truly accurate suggestion.

How & WHERE were they installed ?
In buildings or outside ?

Testing things as you did isn't neccessarily going to reproduce the problem.
[One of the reasons I think the Myth Busters are a couple of clowns]

You have to keep in mind that unless the computers are in temperature controlled buildings that they are going to bake during the day & cool off at night.
They are going to be subjected to the distinct possibility of moisture in the form of condensation due to changing temps.

Putting one in something & getting it hot for a short period of time simply is not the same conditions.

Of course there is always the probability that if you buy 200 identical hard drives there are going to be X amount of premature failures.
[A certain percentage of hard drives are going to fail prematurely]

Edited by fairjoeblue, 29 April 2009 - 11:52 AM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

"We installed these computers over about 200 miles of the turnpike."

Way too little info to give a truly accurate suggestion.

How & WHERE were they installed ?
In buildings or outside ?

Testing things as you did isn't neccessarily going to reproduce the problem.
[One of the reasons I think the Myth Busters are a couple of clowns]

You have to keep in mind that unless the computers are in temperature controlled buildings that they are going to bake during the day & cool off at night.
They are going to be subjected to the distinct possibility of moisture in the form of condensation due to changing temps.

Putting one in something & getting it hot for a short period of time simply is not the same conditions.

Of course there is always the probability that if you buy 200 identical hard drives there are going to be X amount of premature failures.
[A certain percentage of hard drives are going to fail prematurely]

Sorry, they were installed in cabinets on the side of the highway. Each cabinet has a heat exchanger on it that turns on when the temperature inside gets to about 90 degrees. I downloaded the hitachi software and i'm going to run a test on a couple of the computers...

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:42 PM

The HD diagnostics will test for problems with the HD, as they were designed.
Here is how I would troubleshoot:
Reboot the frozen box (is there a GUI or just terminals?)
GUI - log in, open a terminal, become root
No GUI - log in as root
In the terminal type: cat /var/log/messages|grep -i error
Take notice of any lines pertaining to /dev/hd(x) or I/O errors.
If you would like to see all messages type: cat /var/log/messages|less

I also replied to your other thread.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users