Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension running EXTREMELY loud!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 liammkelly

liammkelly

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

Hello all,

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 which I am using as a media center. By virtue of the way my TV room is set up, the TV and desktop are on a media center shelf and therefore ventilation is very poor. The problem has gotten progressively worse.. the machine performs just fine but the fan sounds like a jet engine running. I have cleaned the interior with compressed air a number of times, but the best I have ever done is a minor improvement which only lasted a week or so.

I am certainly open to purchasing a different type of cooling mechanism but I have gathered that these bottom-end Dell towers are among the least modifiable machines out there. Any suggestions, either for improving what I have or for buying and installing something that will help? Thanks!!!

Liam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Run a full virus scan
Check for malware with a utility like Malwarebytes

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...4-10804572.html

If neither of those help unplug & disconnect the computer, open the case, & inspect the inside to see if it is dirty .
[Heatsink on the CPU clogged up, front air intake dirty, rear exhaust fan clogged/not working.]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Since you have cleaned your computer already and determined that dust is not the problem. You may want to upgrade the stock cooler with a better one. When you purchased the computer what processor did you choose? There are also other fan options you can go with, and there is also the option of purchasing a new case with better cooling options.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 liammkelly

liammkelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

Since you have cleaned your computer already and determined that dust is not the problem. You may want to upgrade the stock cooler with a better one. When you purchased the computer what processor did you choose? There are also other fan options you can go with, and there is also the option of purchasing a new case with better cooling options.

This sounds like more of a reasonable solution, because my understanding is that, like I said, these Dell boxes are not terribly re-configurable. Where could I look to see what new cases would be compatible with the guts of my Dell?

Thanks again.
L

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:37 AM

From what I goatherd from the picture of the unit its a standard ATX mini tower. Any case fitting that form factor should work. You can find them on Newegg.com along with different types of CPU coolers. Cases with large 120 MM and larger fans will be quieter than ones with smaller fans. The 120mm fans operate at a lower RPM and create less noise. You could always go with a liquid cooling system.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

One alternative

http://www.xoxide.com/sounabmat.html

http://www.acousticpc.com/acousti_products...urpose_use.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

Let me add to my other post a bit
This is not sheet insulation, but rather a sound-deadening material
It is a very porous foam designed specifically for computer noise
Another supplier
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g7/Sound_Dampening.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

:thumbsup:

Any progress on finding that processor Make and model liammkelly?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 liammkelly

liammkelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:59 AM

:thumbsup:

Any progress on finding that processor Make and model liammkelly?

The processor is a Celeron D 320 / 2.53 GHz...

Thanks,
L

#10 liammkelly

liammkelly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

Sigh. After an extensive cleanup effort with some compressed air, the situation was only briefly improved and hours later we're back to listening to a 747. I'm curious about the idea of a fanless cooling system. Are there options for a configuration like this one?

Thanks all!

L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users