Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Freeze

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hellokupo

hellokupo

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

Recently my old computer was freezing while booting into windows. I figured it was time for an upgrade anyway so I dished out the money to go for an all out upgrade. New hard disk, new mobo, new processor, new memory, new EVERYTHING except the video card (GEForce 8600). Now, the Windows installation went alright so I started transferring some files from the old hard disks to the new hard drive. For whatever reason, it kept freezing during the transfer. After painstakingly transferring whatever I TRULY needed, I started moving some files around to keep them organized. Freeze... I can see the desktop environment but no user response. I stress tested the computer for 25 hours and it was fine. I created new files and moved them around. Fine. It's ONLY when I'm dealing with the old files. For instance, last night I was copying files from this computer to my media computer in the living room when it errored and told me the file wasn't found. I walked into my studio and guess what? Desktop froze (the one I'm speaking of). Like I said, everything in that computer is brand new and I REALLY cannot risk losing my files (which mostly are non-executable). There are no overheating issues (no overclock and both cores stay at 32degrees), no power issues (went through 2 different power supplies (450w and 580w)), all unessential pci devices were removed, the dvd-rom was removed. I cannot explain this. I've been working and building computers my whole life and have NEVER seen anything like this before...... Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

How much RAM installed?

Specs (manufacturer & model) for motherboard and CPU?

Have you checked for overheating issues?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors that might shed somel light?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Have you run a disk check on the old hard drive?

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Any error messages when freezes occur?

Louis

#3 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:21 AM

Specs:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8600
CPU Cooling: Thermaltake CL-P0464 80mm
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ
PSU: Sunbeam PSU-BKS580-US 580W ATX Power Supply
Graphics Card: GeForce 8600 PCI Card (don't remember more specs just that it's one from Best Buy and PCI (not pcie))
Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

No overheat issues. I ran OCCT for 25 hours with +0degree deviation.
I don't think I've ever used event viewer....might have to look at that but I don't think it has time to get to that point lol but what's WEIRD and I think I forgot to mention this is that SOMETIMES in a finite time it will unfreeze... but only sometimes. This happens whenever I did chkdsk. I would run it and it would hang up sometimes and then start again after 15 minutes or so. I've waited while in Windows but simply do not have the patience to sit at a mouse cursor lol.. but seriously, I think I've waited 20 minutes or so while in Windows and it's resumed once.
I did a disk check on the old hard drive and that was fine as well..... but don't you think that even if an errored file was transferred to a new disk drive that disk checker would fix it? Just a thought, not being snarky. Another thing that bothers me is that I bought the same hard disk previously and it was bad out of the box (newegg which I have to return).
I just want to get this thing up and running without losing my data because losing a million lines of code and countless hours of audio and such is just not good for me. Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Chkdsk is a somewhat marvelous tool, IMO...but it cannot necessarily fix every damaged file, IMO.

I've had video files which were somehow damaged...that my system was unable to open or fix...ultimately, I just deleted the files as a way of ridding myself of the problems I had with them.

Louis

#5 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:30 AM

So, I ran the the proprietary software to check the hard disk and came up with nothing. Are there any other disk checking tools or anything like that or any recommendations for this weird scenario? Between all the tests and everything, it hasn't frozen since to check the error log but when I get home I'll start moving some files around so I can get it to lock up and will post here.
I just didn't know if there was a stress test for hard drives as well.

#6 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

Alright, so last night I was installing WoW just to keep the HD occupied. It ran well for several hours and then froze. This morning, I looked up the event viewer to tell me not much of anything:
The HTTP SSL service entered the running state.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

That's the last thing that it logged before it crashed... nothing else. No warnings, no errors. I'm going to try and leave it to do its thing all day to see if it unfreezes and adds an entry to the error log. I don't know.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

Strictly my opinion...

Generally speaking, when a system locks up with no trace of an error...it can be various things (hard drive, power supply, overheating, CPU). Of all these things, the CPU is the least likely and that would suggest that the other suspects need to be thoroughly checked out.

That's about all that I can suggest, based on my interpretations of what you have posted.

Louis

Except, of course, for malware.

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2009 - 09:29 AM.

#8 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

well, the psu is new. the hdisk is new. no overheating. i'm starting to think that it COULD be the operating system. maybe my copy of windows is corrupt.... who knows. i mean, the copy of windows i had was a backup copy i had of the original copy that i purchased. i GUESS i could try Ubuntu and run some stress tests on that. it's just weird.

#9 hellokupo

hellokupo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

Do you think I should replace the video card as well? That's the only thing that hasn't been replaced. It's either that or a new OS. I dumped way too much money into this computer and just need to figure this out. I'm falling way too far behind in my schedule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users