Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm trying to swap a motherboard that won't read boot cd's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HymnToProsper

HymnToProsper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:28 PM

So I am trying to swap a motherboard with Vista installed without reinstalling Windows.

Of course I wouldn't mind reinstalling windows, except I can't since the new motherboard for some odd reason cannot read any boot cds.

I'm thinking I have two options.

1) Find out how to make it read cd's (does it have something to do with bios drivers? If so, then how would I install the bios drivers when it can't read any cds on bootup?)

2) Somehow delete all the drivers from the old motherboard while logged onto windows. Shut off and swap the motherboard and then boot it up again? My problem I think is that I don't know how to delete all the drivers while I'm logged in. Would I use some special utility or just delete every driver in device manager individually?

If anyone could help me out with my dillema i'd be very very happy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

You're probably not going to get Vista to just start up with a different motherboard .

You need to go in the BIOS of the new motherboard , find the boot order, & set it to boot from the CD/DVD drive 1st & the hard drive second.
Exit the BIOS saving the change,
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

Have you got a DVD player or a CD player? Most Vista disks I have seen are DVDs which cannot boot from a CD player.

DR

#4 HymnToProsper

HymnToProsper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

So swapping harddrives only works with Windows XP?

What would I have to do to make it work with XP?

And I know about the boot order. It simply won't read cd's.

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:28 PM

I(f the drive won't read CD's it's bad.
If it appears to spin up but doesn't work more then likely the read lens has failed.

Sometimes you can pull a HD with XP on it , hook it to a different motherboard, & iXP start right up.
[That's called "Getting lucky" ]

If the HD with XP is hooked to a working unit go to the Device Manager & uninstall the Display Adapters [unless you have a video card & are reusing it also], the sound devices, & the Network adapters.
Don't let the unit restart.
When all are uninstalled turn the unit off & remove the HD.
You'll have a much better chance of XP starting on the new motherboard.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

I think some of us have overlooked something here.

Vista is also Windows...just a more advanced version. If it is currently installed on that drive, it probably goes by some of the same rules governing transfer of hard drives with XP already installed.

Swapping a motherboard with an O/S installed...is tricky and unguaranteed, at best. This is primarily because each motherboard has its own settings and drivers loaded on the hard drive. Attempts to get that hard drive to work with a different motherboard...are supposed to be problematical.

As for the statement that a boot CD will not be read...attempting to install XP after Vista is already installed...is a slightly cumbersome process but it can be done.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i...mp;aq=f&oq=

As for the assertion that the optical drive doesn't function properly, FJB has already covered that.

Louis

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

I didn't overlook the fact that Vista is also Windows.

I also didn't overlook all the security built in to Vista to prevent things like the HD being moved to a different computer with Vista still installed.

MS got security crazy with Vista because they are so paranoid about "piracy" .
When Vista was first released MS said they would only allow Vista to be reinstalled & reactivated ONCE !
There were so many complaonts about that MS backed off of that one.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 29 April 2009 - 10:12 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:58 PM

There are posters here...other than you and other than me :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users