Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive always running for no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 goodbishop

goodbishop

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

Please help me find an explanation for why my HD is constantly running, and a solution to get it to stop. I can provide whatever info is needed on the system if you tell me how to find it. I have HJT, so I can provide the log. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

It might be the disk indexing service. In Explorer, right click on the C: drive and select Properties. Uncheck the box that says "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 goodbishop

goodbishop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:01 PM

Thanks, but I already disabled the indexing service. It did not help. My drive has about 35% free space (89GB).

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

Check in your scheduled tasks for anything set to run. Maybe a virus scan or similar.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 goodbishop

goodbishop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Does not seem to be a virus. I have Norton Antivirus, and nothing was detected.

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Hello goodbishop,

Try to determine what process is performing all these I/O operations on the disk:

Bring up the Task Manager, by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del simultaneously. Select the Processes tab. From the menu at the top of the Task Manager display, click View -> Select Columns..., check the "I/O Reads" column and click OK. Then, in the Processes display, click on the column header for the "I/O Reads" column to sort the list of displayed processes based on the number of "I/O reads". Clicking on the column header is like flipping a toggle switch; each time you click, the sort (display) order is reversed based on the values in that column (highest to lowest, or lowest to highest).

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

1. Download Microsoft TweakUI from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloa...ppowertoys.mspx
2. Install and run TweakUI. In the TweakUI select General then in the right-hand-side list scroll down and un-check Optimize hard disk when idle
3. Click Apply and OK to close TweakUI.
4. Restart computer for changes to take effect.

"Optimize your hard disk" makes Windows defrag your hard disk when your are not doing anything else. You can always defrag your hard disk when needed like once in a month etc.

Edited by Romeo29, 28 April 2009 - 01:55 PM.

#8 goodbishop

goodbishop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

M...
With no other programs running, the top few I/O processes in descending order are CCAP, lsass, jqs, CCPROXY, CCEVTMRG, NAVAPSVC, CCSETMGR, scrss, System, MsMpEng, explorer, svchost, NSCSRVCE, symlcsvc,...

I attached a screenshot.

Attached Files

#9 goodbishop

goodbishop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:17 AM

Romeo29,
Unselecting optimize hard disk in TweakUI did not help. After restarting, no change in hard drive activity.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:20 AM

Looks like Symnatec Norton products are hogging your system resources.

All programs starting with CC including NAVAPSVC are Symantec Norton components.
jqs is Java Quick Starter
csrss is client server runtime subsystem - a windows process. if it is in c:\windows\system32
msmpeng is Windows Defender binary.

#11 goodbishop

goodbishop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

I contacted Symmantec for help. They agreed that their services were consuming high amount of resources, and they accessed my PC to help to assess this and reduced resource usage to a normal level. But, even after that my hard disk is still running non-stop. Symmantec tells me it is not their software causing this.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

What is the Task Manager now telling you regarding I/O?

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 goodbishop

goodbishop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

Now the I/O reads are reduced vs. before. Still the hard drive has non-stop activity (I hear the sounds from it). The highest I/O process in task manager is ccSvcHst at around 837,000 reads. Screen shot is attached.

Attached Files

#14 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

My guess would not enough RAM or memory (same thing), do have at least 512M of RAM? Right click "My Computer" and select properties, now look for the amount of RAM installed there. Windows uses the hard drive for memory when it doesn't have enough physical memory. A symptom of this would be constant access to the hard drive.

Edited by QQQQ, 01 May 2009 - 09:29 AM.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

That ccsvchst.exe is related to Norton. I would try reinstalling Norton to see if that helps.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users