Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes and screen pixelates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DebraJess

DebraJess

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

I own a Dell XPS 420 with an Invidia G-force 8800 graphics card. I run Windows Vista and I've owned the computer for 14 months. For the past week or so, whenever I try to use the computer, i.e. surfing the web or playing City of Heroes, my computer screen will freeze and pixelate. I'm not 100% sure this is a hardware problem, so I would like to find out if it's just a part that needs to be replaced or if I need to reinstall my software.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

Should be either a memory or video card issue.

You can test the system memnory with Memtest86,

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.5.iso.zip

Unzip the ISO file
Use a program like Nero with the "Burn Image to disk" feature to make a disk from the isp.

If you don't have a burning program that will do ISO files download ISOrecorder

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/downloa...corderV2RC1.msi

You can install it then right click on the ISO file & click on Copy image to CD to make the disk.

Boot the disk & let the test run all the way through [I think the are 8 tests] at least once.
If you get ANY errors you have bad system memory.
If you get no errors more then likely the problem is the video card.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 DebraJess

DebraJess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

Thank you for the detailed response! I will try your instructions and see what happens

DJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users