Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sandman512

sandman512

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

Good evening everyone.
I have an interesting dilemma. I have a Home PC, XP Hoe Edition, SP3. The other night my 9 year old daughter asked me to download some pics from a digital camera she had. So, I plugged in the camera and all the sudden, my screen turned BLUE and showed some sort of ERROR message(I cannot reproduce). The only thing I recall is the word BIOS. Now the CPU fan is running like it going to launch(very fast). Anyway, I posted a post in the Infected forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1241440. There were no infections, so I was redirected to here. So, I am asking for some help here. Any thoughts? Thanks and my 9 year old daughter thanks you also.

Edited by sandman512, 27 April 2009 - 08:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:41 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time you got the blue screen error message.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:29 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time you got the blue screen error message.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer

Good Morning Budapest.

Here are some things that I found that seem to fit the time line. Thank you.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1524
Date: 4/26/2009
Time: 8:24:31 PM
User: SANDY\Home
Computer: SANDY
Description:
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 4/26/2009
Time: 8:24:38 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: SANDY
Description:
Windows saved user SANDY\Home registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thank you very much. These two items seems to fit the TIMELINE. If there is anything else I should be looking for, please let me know. I will get back to you after I return home from work. :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

I don't think either of those warnings are related to the cause of the problem.

Open up the Task Manager (right-click on the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen and select "Task Manager). Click on the Processes Tab. Are any processes using a lot of CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:29 PM

I don't think either of those warnings are related to the cause of the problem.

Open up the Task Manager (right-click on the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen and select "Task Manager). Click on the Processes Tab. Are any processes using a lot of CPU?

Evening Budapest,

Here are some screen shots. I hope this helps.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

Budapest,

Just FYI, the "fan" seems to have mellowed out and it is not running as hard lately. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

The fan running all the time can often mean that your computer is running hot. You might want to clean it out.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

Will try that, the weird thing is that this all started when I plugged the camera in. BTW, thoughts on the screen shots I posted?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:12 PM

Regarding the screen shots, no process seems to be using an excessive amount of CPU.

Have you ever had this problem plugging any other device into that same USB port?

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 sandman512

sandman512
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

No, I have use that USB port before. Actually, I used that USB port about 10 minutes earlier on my daughter's IPOD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users