Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA drive not detected, even by diagnostic software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zeppelined

zeppelined

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Running Vista, have a Western Digital 250 gig internal SATA drive. About a month ago, the computer suddenly slowed down, crashed, and then threw a "disk access error" message on reboot. A friend recovered files of the drive, cleared it and reinstalled Vista after the drive passed all diagnostic tests. After that, it ran fine for a week, then died again. I ran Vista repair, it booted up and ran fine for more than two weeks.

Last night, it died again, and several attempts at Vista repair failed. Then this morning it booted up into Vista, but after a few minutes, it would hang or freeze. I could get it to reboot a few times, but it kept hanging and crashing after a minute or two. Eventually, Vista repair stopped working. And NOW, when I try to boot it, the BIOS doesn't detect the drive at all. I booted from the Western Digital diagnostic software, and even that returns "No Disk Found."

My question is, is this just a dead drive, or is this more likely a problem with the SATA controller on the motherboard? I'm going to put in a different SATA drive later tonight or tomorrow, but I'm worried that a new drive might work for a while and then succumb to the same problem. If it's the mobo, the computer is still under warranty.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zeppelined

zeppelined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:12 PM

Ok, update time: reboot, this time Western Digital diag software said "non-WD drive detected." Huh. Opened the box to look, sure enough it's a WD. So I took the SATA cable and connected it to the other SATA port on the mobo. Booted right into Vista faster than ever and seems to be working fine at the moment (copying files over to a backup drive while it lasts).

In fact, the drive seems to be working better than ever, with MUCH faster file transfers. So obviously this was not a problem with the disk, right? That seems very apparent now, I guess I'd like a second opinion. If one SATA port went, is the other bound to follow? Is there any other reason it could be acting like this? I'm probably going to send it in for warranty work anyway, since I don't really want one gimped SATA port even if the other one works fine.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

If it's a system under warranty...seems to me that the manufacturer can answer those questions better than anyone on this forum.

No point in troubleshooting a system that is under manufacturer's warranty when you think you have a hardware problem, IMO. Doing so may void the warranty.

I would contact the manufacturer, give pertinent details, and see what they think about it.

Louis

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

What he said :thumbsup: There's two opinions :flowers:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer