Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kernel data inpage error / Umountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bryan767

bryan767

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

hey, my mom got a blue screen of death today and asked if i could help fix it. it turns out she was getting a kernel_data_inpage_error, so i decided to try and fix it, then i logged in safe mode and got a new BSOD and then tried again and got a unmountable boot volume. so im trying to use Recovery Console and it wants a administer password which of course she forgot. i tried "offline nt password & registry editor" but got error code 13.. so now i cant get ride of the adminster password nor can i get ride of the unmountable boot volume error

this is what im following for the boot volume error:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2605/fixing...t_volume_error/

so any help getting ride of the password, or fixing the boot volume error would be most excellent!

and i cant reformat it just yet because she needs to backup her tests and quizzes she has made - shes a teacher

its a old dell peice of crap laptop with Windows XP Home SP3

Edited by bryan767, 27 April 2009 - 08:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

You can attempt to fix the unmountable boot volume error...by running chkdsk /r...with the drive from your mother's system attached to another system as an additional, non-boot drive.

Wait...that's wrong :thumbsup:. It's right but it's the wrong answer for you.

The administrator password asked for in the Recovery Console...probably doesn't exist. I don't know of any home user who has ever set one, so try just hitting Enter when you get to that.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

If it moves to the command prompt, you win.

If not, go back to my first sentence.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 April 2009 - 08:33 PM.

#3 bryan767

bryan767
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

quick update: trying to normally boot sends me to a black screen, then txt saying "A disk read error occurred Press CTR alt del to restart"

and i tried just pressing enter and nothing happens for the password problem.. it askes 3 times and reboots..

i can no longer boot to safe mode btw! and i ran a diagnostic tool and i failed the DST short test!!

edit: im using ophcrack right now to try and get the password using the bootable version of the file... hopefully it works. and i got the option to go into safemode - it seems to come and go now? but i press enter to start it and it just freezes

Edited by bryan767, 27 April 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#4 bryan767

bryan767
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:12 PM

i got into RC again, for some reason it didnt ask which hard drive to use, or what my admin pass was.. i just typed chkdsk /p and its running a check on the volume!

#5 bryan767

bryan767
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

well the hard drive flat lined last night - well the boot partition that is - my dad was able to get most of the hard drive information off it while he could.

FIXED: installed new hard drive

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

Feedback appreciated...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 yoyoma2

yoyoma2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

I was also getting KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and a new hard drive got the same BSOD errors.  This other thread suggested "defective storage controller hardware" as a possible cause so I connected the SATA data cable to a different SATA connector on the old motherboard and the old system works perfectly again.  An easy and free thing to try.  Hope this helps someone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users