Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with a variant of Conficker.AE worm

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Batto

Batto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hello,

I have tried to remove the worm with NOD 32 and Malware bytes without luck, I even followed the instructions listed here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re...nadup-conficker and I still cannot get rid of the worm that is affecting my PC. The worm keeps blocking any malware or antivirus update and also any webpage with a security download (such as Microsoft, any URL containing the words Worm, Malware, Spyware, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated, attached are the DDS and Attach txt files. I know I could always format my PC but I wouldn't like to get to that point.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hello.

Nasty infection you have. We will start off with Combofix.

Download and Run ComboFix (Rename Before Saving)

Note to readers of this post other than the starter of this thread:
ComboFix is a VERY POWERFUL tool which should NOT BE USED without guidance of an expert.

Download Combofix from any of the links below. You must rename it before saving it. Save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Posted Image

Posted Image

Refer to the page below for further instructions on running ComboFix. This includes installing the Recovery Console. Note that you do not need your Windows XP disk to install it. Refer to this page if you are unsure how.

Double click on Combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.

When finished, it will produce a open a report for you. Post back with it. It is at C:\ComboFix.txt.

Do not mouseclick the ComboFix window while it's running. That may cause it to stall.

~Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#3 Batto

Batto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

Hello extremeboy,

First of all, thanks a lot for your help, it's appreciated.
I followed the procedure you mentioned, attached you will find the logs for the Combo Box run. I ran it twice, the file named ComboLog.txt is the first one I ran (I did it twice because I was not present in the PC by the time ComboFix was running). I wanted to mention that while I was running combofix NOD32 popped with an issue, it pops real fast so I couldn't read what it was, however, I guess that's normal since the worm might be blocking or attempting something.

I'll wait for your feedback.

Thanks

Attached Files

#4 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

Hello again.

Just came back so I apologize for the delay.

Let's continue.

Run ComboFix with CFScript

We will run ComboFix again. This time, the instructions are slightly different.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are unsure how.
  • Open notepad (Start>Run>"notepad") and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:
    KillAll::

File::
    c:\windows\system32\uwhnk.dll
    Driver::
    bblynv
    oqyuwmx
    bfmexgx
    eathbdoxg
    fecfpa
    gpdigz
    iqjxu
    qjkth
    ryhypxgcg
    torips
    uwtmqaa
    veyaqjfmk
    wxbtudvqi
    yknhobsbq
    zkyrame
    NetSvc::
    oqyuwmx
    Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe. (This should be your desktop.)
    Posted Image
    Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you at "C:\ComboFix.txt". Post back with that log.

Do not mouseclick ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Update and Scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
  • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Go to the Update tab
  • Select Check for Update and let MBAM download and install any available updates.
  • After the update is complete go to the Scanner tab.
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#5 Batto

Batto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Extremeboy,

Thanks for your assistance, I have done whay you've told me to and attached you will find the logs (sry but Malwarebyte is in Spanish :thumbup2:, though it's easy to understand).

I'll wait for your feedback.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by Batto, 30 April 2009 - 08:22 PM.

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

Hello again.

Please delete Combofix and re-download it and save it on your desktop.

Then do the following.

Run ComboFix with CFScript

We will run ComboFix again. This time, the instructions are slightly different.
  • Close any open browsers.
  • Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix. Refer to this page if you are unsure how.
  • Open notepad (Start>Run>"notepad") and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:
    DirLook::
    c:\windows\system32\oobe
    C:\3
    C:\2
    Driver::
    mvotrjrv
    Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe. (This should be your desktop.)
    Posted Image
    Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you at "C:\ComboFix.txt". Post back with that log.

Do not mouseclick ComboFix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall

Update Java to Version 6 Update 13

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE)" JRE 6 Update 13.
  • Click the Download button to the right.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Under Required Files, check the box for Windows Offline Installation, click the link below it and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button and follow the onscreen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
    Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u13-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
*If using Windows Vista and the installer refuses to launch due to insufficient user permissions, then Run As Administrator.
** If you choose to update via the Java applet in Control Panel, uncheck the option to install the Toolbar unless you want it.
*** The uninstaller incorporated in this release removes previous Updates 10 and above, but does not remove older versions, so they still need to be removed manually.

Run Scan with Kaspersky

Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner. Please note: Kaspersky requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) be installed before scanning for malware, as ActiveX is no longer being used.)

If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select 'Run as administrator' to perform this scan.

• Open the Kaspersky WebScanner
    page.
  • Click on the Posted Image button on the main page.
  • The program will launch and fill in the Information section on the left.
  • Read the "Requirements and Limitations" then press the Posted Image button.
  • The program will begin downloading the latest program and definition files. It may take a while so please be patient and let it finish.
  • Once the files have been downloaded, click on the Posted Image ...button.
    In the scan settings make sure the following are selected:
    • Detect malicious programs of the following categories:
      Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Scan compound files (doesn't apply to the File scan area):
      Archives
      Mail databases
      By default the above items should already be checked.
    • Click the Posted Image button, if you made any changes.
  • Now under the Scan section on the left:

Select My Computer
  • The program will now start and scan your system. This will run for a while, be patient and let it finish.
  • Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
  • Now, click on the Save Report as button.
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.
You can refer to this animation by sundavis.

Post back with:
-Combofix log
-Kaspersky log

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#7 Batto

Batto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

Extremeboy,

I have done what you wrote, attached are the files that you requested. NOD32 is no longer pops up with a virus alert and now I can browse web pages that contain words such as mcafee
norton
symantec
microsoft
defender
rootkit
malware
spyware
virus

etc...

however Kaspersky found several issues. I'll be waiting for your feeback.

Thanks again!!

Attached Files

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hello.

Not too much to worry. Few of them were quarantined items from ESET which can be easily removed and a some were system restore points and quarantined items from Combofix. The rest were just "not-a-virus" files but can be removed as well.

Let's remove those. :thumbup2:

In your C:\ drive I see two folders taht I am not sure what it is, do you know what they are? If not, you can delete both of them.

c:\2 <- This folder
c:\3 <- This folder

Download and Run OTMoveIT3
  • Please download OTMoveIt3 by OldTimer and save it to your desktop. If you are running on Vista, right click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Double click the Posted Image (OTMoveIT3)icon on your desktop.
  • Paste the following code under the Posted Image (Paste Instructions for Items to be Moved) area. Do not include the word "Code".
    :files
    C:\Archivos de programa\Eset\infected
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\7zS4E8.tmp\WinuEFiles.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\7zS4E8.tmp\WinuEFiles.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmdow.exe
    :commands
    [EmptyTemp]
    [Reboot]
  • Click the large Posted Image (MoveIT!) button.
  • Copy/Paste the contents under the Posted Image (Results) line here in your next reply.
Note:If you are unable to copy/paste from this window (as will be the case if the machine was rebooted), open Notepad (Start->All Programs->Accessories->Notepad), click File->Open, in the File Name box enter *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.

Post back with:
-OTMoveIT log
-New DDS logs

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#9 Batto

Batto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Extremeboy,

Attached you will find the 2 files requested. I'll be waiting for your feedback.

Thanks

Attached Files

#10 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hello again.

That looks good. Let's update your Windows now.

Update Windows Installation

Your Microsoft Windows installation is out of date.
Whenever a security problem in its software is found, Microsoft will usually create a patch for it. After the patch is installed, attackers can't use the vulnerability to install malicious software on your PC, so keeping up with these patches will help to prevent malicious software being installed on your PC
Go here to check for & install updates to Microsoft applications.

Note: The update process uses ActiveX, so you will need to use Internet Explorer for it, and allow the ActiveX control that it wants to install.

Please reboot and repeat the update process until there are no more updates to install.

Was there any problems while doing any of the updates, if there was any updates please specify in your next reply.

Post back with a New DDS log once it's done and let me know how your computer is running, any more symptoms?

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#11 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

Hello.

Are you still there?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 5-7 from the last day I replied initially, the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding. :thumbup2:

With Regards,
Extremeboy

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

Hello.

Due to Lack of feedback, this topic is now Closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please Send Me a Message. In your message please include the address of this thread in your request.
This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please start a new topic in the Hijackthis-Malware Removal forum.

With Regards,
Extremeboy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users