Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning off the computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 abx

abx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

I have Windows XP on my computer. What is the worst case scenario if, when I want to turn the computer off, I would press the "on" button on the tower, instead of clicking Start, Turn Off Computer, Turn Off? Thank you. abx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

The proper way to turn off the computer is to use the on screen buttons. Start, Turn off computer, ect. This will shut down windows correctly and any programs running. It only takes a few seconds.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I don't know about "worst case", to me that's like asking if there is a difference between being injured and being injured to the point of dying.
Either way, the subject probably requires medical attention.

Anyway...here's one answer for you: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...14144504AA75yDo

Louis

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

Everytime you power off a PC like that, without using Windows' shutdown function : a small bunny dies. Think of those small cute bunnies. :thumbsup:

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:16 AM

I shut down my computer by pushing the button on the tower 99% of the time. Despite the fact that people say it will damage files, it has not caused me any problems and I have been doing this for years.

In Power Options in the Control Panel, there is a setting in XP that you can set for what will happen when you push that button and there is a selection for shutting down the computer. That is suppose to make it safe to shut down your computer by pushing the button

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

When you press the "on" button, you are shutting off the power, and preventing Windows from closing properly---shutting down all the applications running and closing all open files, for example. This should be done rarely, and only if all other closing procedures do not work.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

I can't think of a reason one would want to just turn the power off all the time. If your computer won't shut down in the normal way using Windows and you would like it to please get back to us. There are people here that can help you like jgweed, he's good.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

When I shut mine down that way, I do need to hold the button in for several seconds. During that time, I see the programs on the task bar close out, one by one. If I let go of the button before the computer actually shuts down, the programs that I had opened have been closed out even though windows is still running. That shows me that it does indeed close out programs, and does not just cut the power. The only way for me cut the power immediately, is to do just that, cut the power. To do that, I have to shut off the power strip or unplug it.

Btw, not too long ago one of the staff members here posted that setting the power off setting to shut down when the power button is pressed is suppose to make it safe to shut off the computer by pushing that button. I just now looked for the post to post as a reference but cannot find it, but it was stated here by someone on staff

Edited by Stang777, 29 April 2009 - 05:50 AM.

#9 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

I use this method of shutting down my computers only when I can't shut down any other way!

shutting down your computer this way is ok once in a great while but on a regular basis it will eventually hurt you based on all the other reasons listed in the posts above this one.

:thumbsup:
So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users