Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Drive RAID 0 Controller failure

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 canadiancynicism

canadiancynicism

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

WD Mybook Premium Edition II - 2 500 Gb SATA drives in a RAID-0 (striped) configuration.
Model WD1000C033 - 000

Laptop - Lenovo 3000V100
1.6 Ghz Core Duo processer
1.5 Gb RAM
80 Gb HardDrive

I've been having a series of problems with this drive and while the drives appear to be in good working order (no clicking, I can access them immediately after I plug the drive in) the RAID controller or the controller board inside the external drive appears to be in the process of failing. The drive appears in Windows XP SP3 immediatly after it is plugged in, after about five minutes the WD drive manager says it's healthy, you can access the file structure but you can't see any of the files.

I got about 50 gb off the drive, but I would like to be able to access the separate drives (which are not backed up, stupid, stupid stupid) to get the remainder of my files off.

I have a SATA toaster and could easily get another SATA to USB cable. I would plan to hook the drives up to my laptop and use a software RAID controller to get the data off.

I was wondering what my options were for recovery software that could emulate or take over the duties of the hardware RAID controller.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users